Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My LG tuner, with disc facility, is defective, in that the

Customer Question

My LG tuner, with disc facility, is defective, in that the picture flickers very rapidly on both live tv and recordings. The machine is about 5 years old and seems to be an RHT497H. Can it be repaired, please? Thank you. (According to Richer Sounds, it can't.)
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2009 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising (3-5 years is the expected service life of these units) There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the unit at the mains2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the unit, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point the system would need to be replaced. They simply aren't practical to repair as parts are no longer available and labor costs alone will exceed the price of a new unit. Should it come to that I can suggest some replacement options for you. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan