Dan
Dan, Broadcast Engineer
Experience:  I am a member of The Society of Broadcast Engineers for a local CBS station
1567601

I have a DMR-EZ49VEB recorder, purchased in April 2002. The

I have a DMR-EZ49VEB recorder, purchased in April 2002. The VHS side is no problem.
With DVDs however, when I insert a DVD on which I recently have recorded a programme a message appears on the unit's display saying "unsupported". Even after I then clean the disc &/or run a lens-cleaning disc, the DVD will still not be accepted, so I cannot watch what I have recorded. What can I do about this? What is causing the "unsupported" message to appear?
Geoff Brooks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. When you say you recently recorded, what did you record the DVD on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I recorded the programme from my TV on to a DVD-RW rewritable media, "Imation", 4x/4.7GB/120Min disc. The programme was recorded OK on to the disc - but a few days later, upon inserting the disc into my VHS/DVD composite recorder , all I kept getting was the "unsupported" message on the unit's display, so I could not watch the recording.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
DVD recording can be tricky! Unfortunately they are not like the old days of just popping in a VHS cassette and pushing the record button and walking away. Your DVD must first be formatted and then after the recording is finished, it will need to be finalized. These processes encode information to the disc that allow it to be played on multiple devices similar to a retail DVD purchased in a video store. To make it even easier, you might want to think about connecting your Panasonic to your video source and record directly to it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. ***** is already connected to my Panasonic recorder unit and I record programmes on to my DVD discs by inserting them into the recorder unit; but when I receive the "unsupported" message on the unit's display I then can do no more recording on to that disc nor view what is already recorded on it.

I always format all new discs and I always finalise all discs after recorded on to them.

Although I take care of my discs and indeed some are almost new, could the problem be that they are not 100% clean or that they have slight scratches on them? If so, what is the best way to clean them? Is just water best or is there a special gel available?

I reckon that about 1 in 4 of my discs are now showing the "unsupported" message when I insert them into the Panasonic DMR-EZ49VEB recorder, DVD tray.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I see. If you are getting intermittent playback on discs that you know to be good, then the laser pickup in the DVD player is either failing or needs to be cleaned. I would suggest you try a cleaning disc to see if that makes any difference. Go to this LINK to see what I am referring to. If you try this, run the cleaning disc through several cycles. If that doesn't seem to do the job, then your player may need to be serviced.