Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

We have Panasonic TV and DVD bought 10/07 - with which we are

Customer Question

We have Panasonic TV and DVD bought 10/07 - with which we are still very pleased, now used with a TT YouView box. Details are:
LCDTV - TX-32LMD70 serial NJ7521722
DMR- EZ47VEBK serial U(or V)R7GA02093R
Question: the on/off switch on top of the TV needs to be held down for a time before the green flashing light comes on; it is then wise to keep holding the switch down until after a longer wait the screen lights up; if you don't do this either the flashing light goes out or changes to a red light. Once red, it is necessary to start all over again, quite frequently immediately getting the red light again - sometimes several times before the green light starts flashing again. This has nothing to do with the standby switch.
A while back the TT technician who installed the Youview box said that this was a regular problem with Panasonic TVs and had something to do with the computer memory on switching off.
The problem with the red light coming on is intermittent; it comes in batches - many nights with no problem, then a few when the red light comes on.
We have been content to put up with this but it seems to be getting worse and we wonder if the switching-on process will fail altogether one of these evenings.
Is there a cure?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is*****'ll be happy to assist you. TV symptoms indicates failing capacitors on power supply or sub power supply board and swapping the board will help to resolve the problem. Required board is available at ebay, please check following link to view the boards and price info and local TV technician will swap it for you to avoid any damage or electric shock..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XTX-32LMD70+board.TRS0&_nkw=TX-32LMD70+board&_sacat=0I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so you know I've now looked at your response. I'll get back to you again when I've spoken to local technician we've used before.Regards, Michael.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please take your time and reply back with the result.Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!
Please reply back here if there is additional questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just been able to follow up your advice and contacted my local technicians (who've done good work for us in the past) and they say it could be what you say but they think it is more likely that with this model it needs a software upgrade that came out some time ago especially as the problem has existed for a long time, however they say you could be right and best thing is to contact Panasonic's support, which I've done and am now waiting for their promised reply. I'll let you know what happens.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply and info. Please take your time and reply back how it went.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't really rate the success of your recommendation yet (though your prompt attention and good manners are commendable) because I have an alternative diagnosis from my local technician, and I have just today heard from Panasonic support who say I should first try changing the fuse in the plug, then plugging into a different socket, and if that doesn't help, take the TV to their service agents 40 miles away!I'll keep in touch
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, if fuse is blown then TV would not turn On at all, no matter how long you held down the power button on TV so in my opinion your TV has failing capacitors issue thus need to swap power supply or sub power supply board in TV. Please note that my diagnosis is based on info mentioned in this discussion thread so I could be wrong if some thing about TV symptoms isn't mentioned here. Support folks of any brand aren't real techs who have years of real work experience so they respond as per company policy. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I quite agree, blown fuse would mean TV would not be connected to power supply and nothing would switch it on! I think Panasonic advisor must have doubts about quality of supply, or he would not also be suggesting trying a different socket outlet. I've never heard of such a problem before with electricity supply - it's the sort of fault one can find on a telephone circuit. Anyway, I have to try these simple solutions before I respond saying its no good, which is what I predict. So far I've just changed the fuse and TV switched on OK, but I've got to test it over a few days as the fault is intermittent.
Sorry to ask you to wait again, but I don't want to lose the connection to you before moving on to your solution.Michael.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michael for info, rating the answer doesn't close the question thread and you can post any additional/ followup question any time and I'll be happy to reply.Have nice time!Shahid.