Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

The sound on my TV is not working!

The sound on my TV is not working!
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What is the make/model of the tv?Is there no volume at all? Is it just not loud enough? Or does it just not respond to volume up/down commands (indicator doesn't move, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Toshiba 40BV701B
There is no volume at all
The indicator does move
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What inputs/sources are you using with the tv (cable/satellite, aerial, dvd, etc) and does this happen with all of them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently I have no other inputs/source plugged in. I have disconnected all of these to ascertain whether they were causing the problem, but even when the TV is standing alone, the problem is evident.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by standing alone - using the internal tuner with aerial or basic cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Currently just the aerial
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Okay, there are a few possible causes of this.If using just the tuner, it can be a setting (tv set to SAP mode when there is no sap broadcast), but if this happens on other sources such as dvd then it would not be the case.The tv speakers may be off/disabled (can be set from the toshiba setup menu),or, the most likely cause, is that the internal amplifier circuitry has failed. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; though this type of repair is generally not feasible. You'd be in the $200-300 range for repairs, while you could buy a brand new and upgraded LED tv with a fresh warranty for the same price. As an alternate option to repair/replacement, you can connect up an external audio systme instead, to take the place of the tvs internal amp/speakers, and get better sound quality in the process: http://amzn.to/1E3CGIQ If you'd prefer help finding a repair shop, parts, or replacement recommendations, just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in the process of taking your advice with the unplugging etc. If this fails to work I shall still rate you but will I be charged, if the volume still fails to work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, how do I restart the TV manually? Do I press the TV/AV button?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you would still be expected to follow through with the payment you agreed to.Regrettably, I cannot guarantee a fix, and in cases of hardware failures such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving practical advise for how to proceed. Please keep in mind that had you taken the tv in to a repair shop or called an engineer out, you'd be spending a minimum of 4 times this amount for their diagnostic fee, with the exact same outcome. I do hope you'll find some value in getting an expedient and accurate answer without having to leave home. Restarting the tv will just be done with the power button. Thank you, Nathan