Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I want to be sure that I buy the correct type of usb memory

I want to be sure that I buy the correct type of usb memory stick to be able to play videos on a digihome 50273sm fhd led tv. Can you advise please?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This is really more about the video files than the memory stick itself.The tv is limited in its abilities to decode video files. Most any name brand usb stick will be fine, here is a model I'd suggest: http://amzn.to/1PmNlz5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The files I want to use are Windows Media Audio/Video files. Will these play on this TV?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It will play .mpg (.mp4) files. I do not believe it is capable of avi files however.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Is there any way I can convert these files to .mpg (.mp4) files?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well I would try them first, as-is, you may get lucky. There is no published support for it, but that doesn't mean it won't work, just that it isn't advertised as compatible. It is possible a firmware update has been released to allow that functionality as well, though digihome products tend to be at the low end of the quality spectrum and aren't well supported, so I wouldn't expect much. Yes, they can be converted, there are several online file conversion tools you can use.http://download.cnet.com/Free-AVI-to-MP4-Converter/3000-2194_4-75891861.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks I'll give it a try. One last question, I browsed suppliers of the usb you supplied, one suggested upgrading to usb 3. Would this be beneficial?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It may be of benefit for use with your computer, if your computer supports usb3, it would copy to the stick faster. The tv still won't be able to operate (read) at that faster speed though.