Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I am trying to set up a system which provides versatility

I am trying to set up a system which provides versatility in how it operates.
I have the following equipment that I wish to connect:
Samsung UE46D8000YUXXU TV
Samsung BD-D5500 Blue Ray Disc Player - only 1 HDMI connection
Samsung SMT- C7100 (Virgin TiVo box) - only 1 HDMI connection
Sony PS3 - only 1 HDMI connection
Sony DA1200ES Receiver
HDMI splitter - 4 inputs 2 outputs which is 3D and 4K ready
I need to ensure that the connections enable me to either use the devices without the receiver or with the receiver. For information, the receiver has several digital and analogue inputs/outputs but unfortunately does not have a pass through option. Additionally, when you connect equipment using HDMI cables, according to the manual sound is not sent to the speaker outputs so I believe it will be necessary to connect each item via an optical or coax connection.
Your advice on the best way to proceed would be much appreciated. If you need any further info please let me know.
Kind Regards
Paul
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Paul.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can simplify this setup considerably, by bypassing the receiver for most purposes.This is a pretty old receiver and really wouldn't give you any benefit in terms of video processing, scaling, etc.So what you'll want to do is just connect each of your devices directly to the tv via hdmi. Sources will be switched using the tv input menu, as needed.This will give you both picture and sound through the tv, when desired. Then, run a single optical cable from the tvs digital audio out port back to the receiver for sound.When you want to use the big speakers, just turn the receiver on, set to the optical input mode, and then turn down/mute the tv speakers (or even leave them on, if you wish, but this can sometimes produce echos). That is really all you need to do to keep things simple and easy. The only way this wouldn't work well is if you perhaps wanted to use a device for audio only with no picture. For example if you wanted to play a music cd on the bluray, or if you wanted to stream internet radio through the ps4. If you wanted to do that but leave the tv off, then you would need a separate optical cable from each device back to the receiver. I'd avoid this if possible though, just because it gets to be a pain having to switch input modes on both the tv and the receiver. Best regards,Nathan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nathan

Many thanks for your help and advice , it is great to know that the solution is relatively simple.

Re the age of the receiver, I know it is quite old but the sound it produces is exceptional and I don't think I could justify spending hundreds of pounds on a replacement at this time.

One question on the proposed set up, I have tried using the optical cable from the TV to the receiver but this produces 2 problems. Firstly the synchronisation between picture and sound when using the receiver is poor - when people are speaking the two don't match. Secondly, if my understanding is correct, the optical output from the TV only provides 5.1 output if using the TV tuner; if you connect other devices it reverts to 2.1. Presumably this would then require the receiver to upscale the signal but wouldn't there be a loss of sound quality?

Whilst the idea is simple I am not sure it is provides exactly what I am looking for. The problem I believe is caused by the fact that each of the devices being connected only has one HDMI socket and one optical output.

Look forward to receiving your thoughts/suggestion.

Paul

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,Yes, there are some limitations to this as you've mentioned. There should be no loss in audio quality, but there can be some sync problems. I was not aware you had that issue, as it does not always happen. This is the result of a delay in the audio processing done by the tv.To get around that, you would need 2 separate connections - hdmi from each device to tv, with separate optical/coax from each device to the receiver. In that case you'll have audio and video via hdmi to the tv when needed, and just turn the receiver on as desired (with tv speakers off/muted) for the other times. The only complication there is that you end up having to set input mode on both tv and receiver. This is probably still better than having to buy a new receiver though. Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Nathan

Your solution is virtually what I originally thought. My plan was to take an HDMI cable from each device to the splitter (input tetminals) and the one HDMI cable from the splitter output terminal to the TV and the other to the receiver; I would also then take an HDMI cable from the receiver monitor output to the TV - a little more complex and benefits simplification.

I would also run a coac/optical connection from each device to the receiver.

Your final thoughts much appreciated and then I will 'leave you in peace'!

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you're using the splitter like this, you don't actually need the separate optical/coax cables, as you'd have the hdmi audio already.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately because the receiver does not pass the audio input from the HDMI cables to the receiver speaker outputs the only way it is possible to use the surround-sound is by use of an optical/coax connection frome each device. As you said this necessitates me changing inputs each time but it appears the only way to get sound from the speakers - crazy I know! Because I only have a limited number of optical inputs into the receiver I have just purchased an optical to coax converter and plan to use this from the Blue Ray player to rhe receiver.

Paul

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That is what I was trying to save you from. I'm sorry I had forgotten that your older model did hdmi switching only and did not have the option for the hdmi audio.Optical to coax will work if none of your devices have a native coax out. Perhaps another simpler option to consider would be to get a different switch box, one with an hdmi audio extraction ability: http://amzn.to/1EIADF2So feed your sources into it, split hdmi off of the box to the tv, and then hdmi + optical to the receiver.