Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My LG TV and DVD recorder/player have both stopped

My LG TV and DVD recorder/player have both stopped yesterday. Not a peep out of them, power sockets are all ok, all leads checked, just nothing! Can you help
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Is this a combo tv/dvd unit?Can you give me the full model info please?Any power/status lights, beeping or clicking sounds, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are separate units.

The TV is model no. 32LE5900

The Freeview + DVD Recorder with HDD is model no. LGRH497H

Both purchased together from Richer Sounds Prestwich on 5.8.10

No problem until today when neither will switch on. All power sockets checked, fuse checked etc.

There are now power lights, or any sounds whatsoever.

I find it very strange that they have both broken down at exactly the same time!

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Christine

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information, Christine. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This is the most likely scenario since both were affected.This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Before proceeding further, I'd suggest moving them and testing them on a different outlet/circuit in another room. I realize you've perhaps tested this outlet with another device, however if you tested the outlet with something simple like a lamp, that could get power and work even at very low voltages, where the more sensitive electronics may not. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. (this will help to isolate also if you possibly have a bad power strip) If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.In general, this will not be a practical repair - you could buy a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty for about 2/3 the cost of repairs. Note: the above info is specific to the tv, but the same general information and reset process can be applicable to the player as well, with the same outcome that it will be less costly to replace than to repair. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Nathan, that is bad news but I will try what you advised. I find it strange that both things should have died at exactly the same minute!

Is your advice also in an email as I am afraid I will lose it when we close down contact.

Christine

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Since it happened to both, it is most likely the result of a power surge, and as the 2 are connected they both took damage. The full text is not in your email, but a link back to my answer should be, as long as you completed the account sign up steps.You may also bookmark/favorite this page, or after the rating step is completed (stars) to rate my service, you can also print this page. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even though the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.