MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Sony DVD recorder RDR-HXD1090 - I am losing my programme settings

Customer Question

Sony DVD recorder RDR-HXD1090 - I am losing my programme settings as soon as the DVD powers off. I have reset the DVD recorder to its factory settings but it makes no difference. Whats the resolution ?
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Hi good morning, there is a battery backed RAM IC in this unit.This one used two methods of making this operate.One, is they installed an IC with a built in battery that IC would need to be replaced if thats what you find inside on the main board.Or the other method they used is a battery on the board itself that you can replace, I can help you do that if you are handy and have a few good basic tools.Some soldering may be required to fix this. Sometimes not, Also I can provide the best place to get the part you need to retain the memory when the unit is powered off.Please rate my service kindly before you close this page, then we can remain together until this is complete, there is no cost for rating or for further information if you rate kindly;-)After rating to reach me simply reply to this message and I will be available to you;-)Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael, where do I find the IC on the main board ? and where would I get the new part ?

Hi do you have the unit open now?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Thank you I got it!Have a great day!Tech Michael ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael, I have the unit open - where do I find the IC with the battery ? what am I looking for ?

Hi the first thing you want to look for is to see if there is a battery mounted to the board. It will either be a button cell or a small battery either soldered in place or clipped to the board, let me know if you can find one.ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't see anything that resembles a battery

Hi it will either look like a capacitor laying on its side an electrolytic one.Or a button cell it may be difficult to spot bit look carefully, if you dont have that type I will tell you whats next.ALso do you have any electronics soldering experience?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Michael, no I don't have any electronics soldering experience. I'm really not sure what I'm looking for !

Hi thanks, ***** ***** looks different than everything else on the board. It will either be something like a 1 inch shiny circle, like a large watch battery, or a cylinder shaped part with plastic covering lit will be about an inch in length and usually mounted laying on its side. Connected either with solder or is removable by prying it out of its holder clips. But if you can not see a battery like the ones I desribed then the IC is actually at fault and needs to be replaced. SInce you dont have any electronics experience, you will need to have this part replaced by a shop.You will do more harm than good trying to remove that IC with not having much practice doing this. It really is an art lol.If it turns out to be the case, most home audio shops will take it in for repair now a days.. Also Sears and Best Buy take these in at most locations for this fix.It really isn't a big deal to fix for an experienced technician, also should not be expensive either as it wont take long to do with the proper tools.Tech Michael. Im still here with you .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michael,

I can't see anything resembling either the watch battery or the cylinder as you describe. I'll just have to take it to a suitable shop and see what they quote for repair,

Thanks for your patience and help.

Hi thank you for checking. I agree it would be best to have this part replaced by a pro.I wish you all the best and I'm sure it just needs the IC which has a built in battery;-)If you need me further don't hesitate to ask,Have a wonderful day!Tech Michael