littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience:  Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.
63817454

I am having trouble with my HD on my tv. I get a message

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my HD on my tv. I get a message which tells me "This display does not support HDCP. I have been in contact with sky and have eliminated the problem as being related to my sky box.
I usually watch tv via the HMDI1. Recently there has been an x box attached to the tv it was attached to this HMDI1 socket as it wouldn't work in HMDI2. We have been watching sky on HD through the HMDI2 socket up until last week now we cant get HD through either socket. Please could you advise me.
Category: TV
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for entrusting me with your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, click on Reply to Expert tab to reply to me in the reply box that pops open or, if the reply box is showing, just type your reply to me there. And please don't forget to rate me positive when we are finished. Let's get you fixed up so you can be on your way. I'm sorry you're having a problem, let me explain what is happening. HDCP is a copy protection feature. All digital devices need to be HDCP compliant, otherwise you'll see the error, due to the fact that your TV is not HDCP compliant. Your Sky box and Xbox are trying to connect, but your TV doesn't speak that language. The way around this is to use the red/green/blue RCA jacks for your HD video. Since that is an analog connection, the HDCP won't see it, and you'll be able to use your Xbox. Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Rusty

I'm sorry, I have been at work which is why I am late replying to your answer.

I think my query was misleading. We aren't having trouble using the X box, that is fine. The problem is with the TV reception, we are having to watch all TV programes using a scart lead, and the quality of the picture is rubbish. Our TV was HDCP compliant we had a good reception but now its not.

Ok, that's great news! Since the problem is with the HDMI cable only, that is usually an indicator that the HDMI cable has gone bad, which is very common, and the HDCP is the first to show signs of one going out. Replace the cable with a high speed HDMI cable, and tell me the results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rusty I'll get a new HDMI cable and see how we get on

That is usually the part that goes bad, let me know how it works out.