Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a DTR-Z500HD, which seems to have frozen, it has worked

I have a DTR-Z500HD, which seems to have frozen, it has worked very well for 3.5 years but when I switched on from standby [which is the state I leave it in] the green light came on but no picture appeared. Nothing else has changed but it stays in this mute state and will not seem to answer to anything. I have tried to disconnect and leave for a couple of days but when I re-connected the red standby light came on and the green light but still no picture. I have been so pleased with the box I bought another for my daughter. Please help. Peter Tanner
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Are you certain the issue is with the TiVonics recorder itself, and not that the TV is set to the incorrect Input? Also, when did this problem occur- was there a storm, power outage or anything else that may have led up to this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem has occured with the Tvonics recorder itself. It has been working fine for 3.5 years as, I pointed out in my description, and nothing has changed, the TV is still working fine without the recorder. We have had no storms or power stoppage.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Here's the thing, if the TV is on the correct Input setting for the recorder- and there is no image at all from the recorder- then this indicates a hardware failure with the unit- not something that can be fixed with any buttons or settings. Please check the cabling from the back of the recorder to the TV, and let me know which type of cable runs between the two (for example: Scart, RCA red,white and yellow, or simply a coaxial cable).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable between the TV and the recorder is an HDMI cable, there are no buttons or settings to the rear of the recorder
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
No, there are no buttons on the rear of the recorder. Now, this issue can be caused by a failed HDMI cable- and that would be the first thing you would want to check. First power everything down and remove then reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends making sure it's secure. Then turn everything back on. If there is still no picture, then you would want to replace the HDMI cable- as these are digital- and can go bad without warning. In the rare case that replacing the HDMI cable does not fix this (and you've checked that the TV is also set to the correct "HDMI" Input setting), then this would be a failure in the recorder itself. However that is rare- and that HDMI cable is your most likely culprit. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need any further assistance with this?If not, could you please click a 5 star rating for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced HDMI cable as you suggest and started up again but this still has not repaired the fault so I guess the recorder will have to be replaced unless you have any further suggestions
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
All I can suggest beyond that is leaving the unit unplugged for 24 hours or more in the hopes that it's a software glitch- and resets beyond that point. If it does not help the issue then it would need to be repaired or replaced unfortunately. Beyond that I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company