info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a UE55F9000 which has excellent picture except when

Customer Question

I have a UE55F9000 which has excellent picture except when screen is predominantly black e.g space or over credits when stars or text appears pale or washed out until more white appears e.g planet or channel logo
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome As a test please press the menu button of the sets own remote control is the menu lettering or background of menu affected? How are you viewing TV services please?satellite /cable box/cable straight no box/antenna? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Background lettering menu not affected. I am primarily watching through Sky HD+ box but same effect occurs when watching through Samsung 3D Blu-ray player

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
So the sets own menu is NOT affected but other inputs are, Kenny please re-check what you just said because on most occasions the menu is affected and if you make a mistake it will lead to a wrong diagnosis please examine the menu carefully again and let me know what you say affects the outcome of the issue

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry , you are right but as the menu covers so much of the screen it was hard to tell - had to go down a few levels so that only part of the screen was obscured .Apologies

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Yes the fault you are describing always affects the menu too and its either t-con board issues or lcd panel issues from what your saying it does sound like t-con do you think you can replace it yourself?I will provide more details its a plug in board

Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure about fitting myself unless fairly basic plug-in : have replaced memory chips in my computer. Does it require expertise? Where would I get the board?

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Please remember the catch 22 is that there is no way of checking the tcon board so if you replace it and its the same then regrettably its the panel (screen)bad its relatively easy to replace Glad to help, what you need to do is get the back off the set, now you will see a unmistakable ribbon or multi-strand label going from the mainboard (that's the one with all the AV input connectors on)to the t-con usually mounted upper middle of the set and may be covered by a metal shield, you need to carefully get this board out of the set (its about 5 inches by 2 half)and retrieve the partnumber found on the board itself with this partnumber go to www.shopjimmy.com first if they dont have it google the partnumber for suppliers Let me know if you need more info Please remember to rate the answer positively thank you there will be a rating band with this post thanks again Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this issue with the t-con board likely to worsen? I've googled it and it seems that the problems listed by other people are significantly worse or virtually terminal.

In reality , the problem I have is a minor irritant and , for most of the time, the picture quality is excellent to the point that my friend is forever calling to watch movies and sport on my set in preference to his own.

Feel a bit inclined to letting sleeping dogs lie. In the event of situation deteriorating , are you aware of local technicians to CH44 1AR who I could call to confirm diagnosis and resolve?

Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will worsen
I've googled it and it seems that the problems listed by other people are significantly worse or virtually terminal.
If it is the t-con board faulty it will fix the issue permanent if its not (no way to check)then the panel is bad (screen)and that is terminal the t-con drives the panel
You do not need to call any technicians as that is what you have contacted this site for but if you pick up the yellow pages there will be many TV repairers in your area who will cement my diagnosis but they may charge you for that and ask you to bring the set in.
Sorry its nothing easier, if I was you I would replace it the cost will be around £80 for a t-con board here is how to do it>>>
Glad to help, what you need to do is get the back off the set, now you will see a unmistakeable ribbon or multistrand label going from the mainboard (thats the one with all the AV input connectors on)to the t-con usually mounted upper middle of the set and may be covered by a metal shield, you need to carefully get this board out of the set (its about 5 inches by 2 half)and retrieve the partnumber found on the board itself with this partnumber go to www.flattvparts.co.uk first if they dont have it google the partnumber for suppliers.
Kenny please remember to rate the answer positively this is the only way I receive credit from the site, this question will remain open for you always
Anthony