Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Picture on my 4 years+ plasma 50 inch Samsung TV has gone

Picture on my 4 years+ plasma 50 inch Samsung TV has gone very faint - could see very little in day time, better at night but still not good. Made adjustment to contrast, brightness etc. without success.

Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Could you give me the full model number, please?Does this happen equally with all sources/inputs?If you bring up the samsung on screen setup menu, how does that look?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Model No: PS50A457 P1D

Model code:PS50A457P1 DXXU

Samsung Plasma 50" manufactured in 2009

Same problem with all sources/inputs

Menu: Image very faint (as in picture), but can manage to read it

I hope, that the above helps.

Do not sign me up - this is just a one-off

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most often a bad sustain board or faulty power supply, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation1) Unplug the power cord from the tv2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $350 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this age/size/resolution, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv of this size, with twice the picture quality and a fresh warranty for not much more than you'd spend on repairs (in the $500 range) Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the advice - my original plan was to replace the TV, since the repairs would be expensive, if there is a hardware problem. I will let you know after I have carried out your other experimentation.

Thank you again.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, and best of luck to you. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan