How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack Your Own Question
Jack
Jack, Technician
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 9386
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752
Type Your TV Question Here...
Jack is online now

I have a Panasonic model TX 26LXD 80 LCD TV (Serial No

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have a Panasonic model TX 26LXD 80 LCD TV (Serial No NV(###) ###-####)which was made in 2008 and I bought in Jan 2009 (just out of 5 year warrantee) which has stopped working. When the on button is pressed the green light flashes for a short period, it then turns green steady for a couple of seconds, you get a snatch of sound but no picture at all, then a red light starts flashing and the sound disappears. I've tried unplugging to maybe reboot it but to no avail. Is this likely to be an expensive repair? Any advice will be much appreciated. I use the inbuilt analogue tuner to receive the sky signal from another room and want to retain this feature. Do any 28" modern TV's have an analogue tuner or is there any other way around this? Cheers

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is***** can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , a few questions coming up ;
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
By the way , all modern tv`s now have both the analog and digital tuner so yes you can still use the channel 3/4 to connect to your sky box
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
In any case I don`t know if you had in mind to look into repairing this yourself but i will give you the details for a "do it yourself " or shop type of repair but i must say that for a 26" tv of that age , the repair shop may not be a viable option money wise.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
From your description I would give this a 75% chance that the main board is the problem and 25% to the power board .If you were to look into repairing this yourself then you can get that main board at the link below for 33 pounds ;https://flattvparts.co.uk/panasonic-tx-26lxd80-main-av-tnp8eal96And the power board at the link below for 25 pounds ;http://www.lcd-tv-parts.com/index.php/panasonic-psu-n0ac3gj00015-psc10257-tx-26lxd80-tx26lxd80.htmlTo have a repair shop repair this for you may cost you up to 100 pounds parts included If that answers your question please do not forget to rate so i get paid for my time helping you and you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help , thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jack, Sorry for your multiple attempts to contact me but I've been away for a couple of days. As requested, set did not fail whilst working, no recent electrical storms or power cuts noticed, power supply is routed via surge protector. You estimate professional repair would be approx. £100. New set would cost £240, but from what I can see in UK set specs, they only state I tuner (presumably as analogue terrestrial TV transmissions ceased here about 2 years ago here) please identify UK models of 28" Samsung or LG TVs which have analogue tuner so I can see if I can source one of them

Cheers, Maurice

Also the Sky signal comes from the RF2 connection on the sky box down in lounge which then comes via coax cable to Tv up to bedroom with magic eye for remote operation of Sky box

Cheers

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello Maurice , never mind the post by shahid ,it was meant for another postYes , analog over the air (OTA) has been digital here as well since 2009 but all tv`s being made are still analog capable as they were 10 or 20 years ago ,analog signal are still in use on many cable system or equipment like yours so they are not completely gone , mostly on over the air signals they are.Be with you shortly but note that your tv is a 26 " not a 28 " and not sure if samsung or anyone for that matter makes 28" and if you get down to that , a 32" would be even easier and just as cheap or cheaper as they are more common than 26 " to buy if the space available to sit the tv is not a problem ?Or is it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jack the cabinet dimensions of my old 26" equate to a modern LED 28" screen cabinet, unfortunately a modern 32" will be too big to fit. Reassuring that you think I will be able to continue viewing Sky remotely.

Cheers

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then let me see what i can find in the uk By the way , any stores like currys near you ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Here are a couple of links that may help you decide , that will give you an idea of the prices and specifically model numbers that can be used for local search or even bought online at amazon ;This would be for the 28 " range and you are correct , they seem to be more popular on your side of the ocean , plenty of them on amazon ;http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=televisions+28+inch&sprefix=televisions+28+inch%2Caps%2C241&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atelevisions+28+inchAnd here would be for the 26 " range ;http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=televisions+26+inch&sprefix=televisions+26+inch%2Caps%2C248&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atelevisions+26+inchNote that once you`ve selected a model then the dimensions will be in width x height x depth of the cabinet not the screen then with or without the stand if applicableIf you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that Jack, The 28" Samsung UE28J4100AK looks attractive at around £200, and please confirm you're happy that this will accept the sky RF2 input similar to the old Panasonic. I guess you're somewhere on the eastern side of the States by the time difference!

Regards, Maurice

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then good choice and yes this will take anything you can throw at it ,including the rf out 2 of your sky box
Jack and 3 other TV Specialists are ready to help you

Related TV Questions