littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience:  Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.
63817454

Just bought a UF695 LG TV and I want to connect it to a Philips

Just bought a UF695 LG TV and I want to connect it to a Philips HTL5140B sound bar. Both pieces of equipment work fine alone but I cannot get any sound when using HDMI ARC connection. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried more than one hd cable which work connecting other devices to old tv.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Are you connecting the HMDI ARC cable to the TV's dedicated port labeled "ARC"? Also is the sound currently coming from the TV speakers? What sources are connected to the soundbar or TV besides each other (Cable Box, DVD, etc.)? What is the full model number off of the back of the LG TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI, ARC to ARC. Sound only from TV speakers when set to TV speakers. Soundbar is on External setting. No sound from TV speakers when set for Soundbar (although I do understand why there would be?) Have had BT TV box and Now TV box connected to TV. Disconnected them so only soundbar connected, same problem. Output for sound has been tried on both Auto and PCM. Model number is *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also the HDMI ARC indicator flashes which according to the soundbar manual suggests the TV is not HDMI ARC compliant. If it's not LG might be surprised to find out!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In earlier comment should read "...I do NOT understand...."
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay- we're on different time zones. So, you have the HDMI cable connected to HDMI 2 on the TV? Also in the TV's audio MENU you have TV speakers turned off? And there's still no sound from the soundbar? Then using the Philips remote, press the HDMI ARC button at the top right corner- still no sound?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem. Cable is in slot labelled for HDMI ARC on TV, likewise on Soundbar. External speaker is selected under the sound options in TV menu. No sound from bar. Works fine if I connect my phone via Bluetooth so Soundbar does function, sounds good. It's just the blasted TV I can't get to talk to it.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. I know it's likely elementary....but you're also selecting the HDMI ARC button on the Phillips' remote- and still nothing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep, the LED on the soundbar comes up flashing HDMI ARC after I press the button.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, it seems like these two are simply not talking to each other. Do you happen to have another HDMI cable you can try?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I have to run out for about an hour and a half, but will check back. Please post with results if you've made any progress- thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I have tried two other HDMI cables that I know work, same thing with each. I did read somewhere that LG TVs do not output PCM but Dolby (it was a very old post regarding similar problem). THe menu on my TV says PCM so I assume that this is not the case now. The Soundbar manual just says that either TV is not ARC enabled or the audio format is unsupported. TV sound is set to PCM which is what I understood the soundbar needs. The other setting is Auto, which I have tried as well and get the same results.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. Since a soundbar is 2 channel audio, you don't have to use HDMI to get great sound. You can use the optical connection from your TV to your soundbar, or even more simple, take the digital aspect out of it and use an RCA to mini cable, click here. The good thing about these cables is there's no way to mess up a setting. There is only one setting, which is PCM. Connect that to the red/white outputs on your cable box, and connect it to your Aux input on your soundbar. No additional settings will be needed. Don't worry about sound quality, as it is 2.1 audio. HDMI carries 9.1, optical carries 7.1, but you don't need that because your soundbar is 2.1. The RCA cable will work just fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that Rusty. Incidentally I can route the picture to the TV via the sound bar so the problem is audio only which does beg the question whether LG is not outputting PCM?
ARC is a gimmick, and I avoid it at all cost. There are only a few situations where it would be useful to use ARC, but bypassing it hand having a dedicated audio cable really narrows down what problems you can have. It's easier to troubleshoot that way. You can also go out of your cable box with HDMI, into the soundbar. Then connect the soundbar HDMI Out to your TV. This is also an acceptable connection. With the RCA to mini cable, you'll never have compatibility issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rusty I have to get a RCA to mini cable so will let you know what happens. Thanks for your help. Interesting what you have to say about ARC, it seemed to me reading all the marketing blurb that it was the best thing since sliced bread. We live and learn.
It's useful for people with only certain cables built into the wall, otherwise it's completely unnecessary. As an expert, I see ARC and immediately think "problems".
littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience: Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.