Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have an intermittent fault on my Sony TV.Some days the sound

I have an intermittent fault on my Sony TV.Some days the sound does not come on at all and some days it comes on after 15 or 20 minutes. Most days,however, it works ok.
Is this likely to be a fault in the TV or in the SkyBox?
Dennis Kennedy
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is***** can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will do my best to answer your questions but I am far from knowledgeable about technology !!!

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
No problem , these will be simple questions that will help me sort this out .
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else connected or that could be connected temporarily to the tv beside the sky box ?
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Is the tv doing its problem now or is it working ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is nothing else connected,or ever is connected,apart from the sky box. As expected(!) it is working perfectly to-day.

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
O.k then if it is not possible to try and connect (temporarily) another piece of equipment to the tv when the problem happens to see if the tv will stay silent or give sound which would point to the sky box then wait until it does its problem again and start with the tv ;Pull the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on it 20 secs or so and then try the tv again .If the sound comes back that way then you are looking at a tv problem in which case the main board would need to be replaced so if the tv is no longer under warranty then you would be better off to buy a small sound bar or sound system to connect to the sky box directly for sound .If the sound does not come back with the tv then try pulling out the skybox power cord 30 secs to reboot it and see if the sound comes back that way , if it does then have your sky box replaced by your provider .In either cases there will be no need to have the tv repaired unless you`d want it back to original and in any case I suspect the sky box is the culprit . If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions or need help with that , thank you .