MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Samsung ht-f4550 after about 20 mins of play it switch off

Customer Question

Samsung ht-f4550 after about 20 mins of play it switch off and the front display blinking hello
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Welcome
Please understand what I am about to say is not an answer its the beginning of a procedure to troubleshoot your unit now what I need you to do first is reboot the unit by unplugging it from wallpower wait 5 mins then try the unit again we move on from there
Thank You
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did this and still doing the same thing
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** anything else you have done that you have not indicated so far?
Also your country of posting says its a US post is that correct?you are not in the UK?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No have not try anything else. I am currently on Ascension island working for the RAF as a contractor,
Shavarn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am from the uk
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
So I am assuming the unit is from the UK?this is important
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah the unit is from the uk, it is 240 vShavarn
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
The most suspicious thing here is the firmware,its likely to be corrupt, there is an upgrade for the unit here
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/audio-video/home-theatre-systems/HT-F4550/XU
Go towards the bottom of the page the firmware is there along with the guide to do the work
Let me know if you need more info
Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have
Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I did the upgrade and it still doing the same thing play for 20 mins and switch off with the display blinking hello, I have to switch it off at the mains for a while before it plays again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think a component is overheating in the power supply?
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Does it have to be playing a DVD or blu ray?does it do it in all modes?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it in all modes
Shavarn
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Its not overheating its just thinking its getting switched off now it could be the tact switch on the on/off on the unit itself or it could be the remote please take the batteries out of the remote to kill it and let me know if it still does it
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try this, but I took the unit into work without the remote and it was still doing this. Will get back to you after I have tried it without the remote batteries in
Cheers
Shavarn
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Its an elimination process, Just a word on the firmware you did do this correctly the unit did indicate it was being addressed for firmware with a message and did indicate the firmware was successful?
Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said updating the new firmware and that it was suscessful and then turned it's self off. I even tied it again when it didn't work and it said that it was up dated with the lastest firmware.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
That is good OK let me know about the remote disconnect sometimes remotes transmit spuriously on there own, we may then need to move onto the on/off switch on the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it with out the batteries in the remote and still doing the same thing
Shavarn
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Its either the on/off switch on the unit itself or you have a powersupply board issue that would mean getting inside the unitand disconnecting the switch initially running the unit again with it disconnected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a HF transmitter Tech so this is not a problem, I will disconnect the switch an see what happens, will up date you tomorrow, thanks for your help to day
Cheers
Shavarn
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the switch out and run the unit without it, still doing the same thing.
Shavarn.
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Hi Different expert here.How old is your TV?Did this start happening after any power outage or storm?Also I need to know if it does this every time you use the set and does it continue each time you reset?Thank you for providing me all these details so I can help ;-)Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a home theatre system. It continues eveytime I reset it
Shavarn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No no power outage or storm
Hi Shavarn,Thank you for the information. I'm sorry that was my error in calling it a TV, a lot of work today lol;-)I have carefully read all the correspondence between you and the other technician. I know the unit you have well.With this information and all you had tried to rectify the problem and that having Not worked. I will tell you that this unfortunately is not a firmware(software) issue but rather a hardware problem.This is caused by usually a failing electrolytic capacitor somewhere in the system, usually I find the power supply to be the fault area to check. Or simply replace that supply as it is troublesome once it begins to show this symptom.If you have electronics background and the tools and equipment I could guide you on the repair Let me know on that?If not you will do well to have this one serviced by a home audio shop that makes repairs locally. Also Best Buy and Sears many locations take these in for service. But many local smaller home audio shops make repairs on these now a days.The part itself if this one is troubleshot down to the component level is very inexpensive.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a wonderful day Shavarn.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael
Thanks for this, I am a service tech and can do the troubleshooting with your help, I have the tools, I can't sent it to a shop as I am on Ascension island so I will have to repair it myself with your help.
Shavarn.
Hi Shavarn,That would be fine with me I love to help with this type of work its my thing I build intelligent robots for a hobby.I will stick with you until this is repaired correctly so please rate my service thus far at the top so we can stay connected for the duration.Thanks for your patience and understanding Shavarn.Tech Michael
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience: I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi so where do we go from here
Hi Shavarn, thanks,First how much electronic experience do you have?Do you have a meter for testing components and voltages etc?ThanksTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have quite a bit of experience, I own a DMM so I can do some testing. But can get other test equipment at work if needed.
Thats great Savarn,I will have some more info and time tomorrow so just hit me up then and I will help you let me know what you find when checking the electrolytic caps in the power supply section first. I need to know if you see any with bulging tops?Or any that appear to have leaked a dry brown fluid in there casings.Also when you turn the unit ON, do you hear any relays clicking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi checked the caps and don't see any signs of leakage or bulging. I can hear clicking when I turn the unit on so it sounds like the relays are clicking in.
Shavarn
Does everything else seem to come up on the display when you turn the unit on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi only what should come up, like hello then bd DVD and the load to see if any disc is already in there, so I guess the normal
Thanks, ***** ***** be a bad relay as the contacts inside them wear and sometimes get corroded to the point where they no longer make contact inside.You need to make sure they are energizing as you can tell by the clicking, but also that the inside contacts they make and break are working and providing continuity;-)Also you will need to look at ans rest the power transistors on the heat sink. Usually one of them will fail if you have no audio out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have check again and don't see any relays on the power supply sorry, check the power transistors and theory are good, still getting audio out of the Unit when it switches it self back on
Hi when you switch the unit on, you said you can hear at least one relay where is that click coming from?Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi that must have being the fan or a click coming from the dvd loader, I have upload a pic of the pcbs for you to see. the two grey components near the fan is two caps
See that large aluminum heat sink? the parts on that should be replaced first.Can you get me the letters and #'s off any components mounted to that part?Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi which heatsink, the one on the power suppy or on the green board
Hi the one you need to be concerned with is the one that has at-least to black components that have a hole in them the attach to the heat sink as they produce a lot of heat. They are the output transistors or FETS. I need the info off of them as they are the most likely cause of the trouble. These parts amplify the sound and pass it along to the speakers eventually.Usually one will fail and cause this problem I have found on this model.Keep in mind, if you don't have the proper experience you may not be able to detect any other possible problems.Also check the board for a burnt smell, especially around that area also look at the bottom of the board the solder side for damaged solder as an indicator;-)
You need to check all the parts on both boards especially the ones mounted to heat sinks;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get the UFO and get back to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not UFO ,information I mean silly computer lol
LOL! I will be here, if not I will see your info when I return and will reply then.I'm in and out some days. Tech Mike;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the numbers on the components and they are
SF10A300. Which is a transistor10N65A. Which is a MOSFETShaarn
Hi Shaarn,the is a transistor 10N65A;-)The other is a mosfet.I'm here if you need me.Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 10N65A is shorted, I have tried to see where I can buys these both components from and can't seem to have any luck, do you know where I can get these
Hi Shaarm, Have you tried Digikey www.digikey.com?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi mate
I can only buy the 10N65 and not the 10N65A is these the same
Hi thats a good question.Its a MOSFET but I wouldn't just guess on that one as the A could indicate a pin change.I would check with Digikey Im sure they can provide more on that;-)I will also check on that for you as well.ThanksTech Mike