MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

I have a Sony Betamax recorder SL-F1UB and timer tuner

Customer Question

HI I have a Sony Betamax recorder SL-F1UB and timer tuner TT-F1UB combined unit. I have had from new with TRINICON camera in 1982. It has not been used for some time I wanted to look at a special tape for converting to DVD. Unfortunately I put the tape in the recorder and it will not eject or play. I suspect it needs an overhaul . How can I remove the tape safely?

Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im sorry to hear that. Yes its in need of a good internal clean and lube and likely a few belts.You can open the top cover making sure the unit is unplugged, then you will need to carefully slip the tape that around the drum most likely away from the drum and fingers that pull it up and around that. Next you can find the motor that drives the mechanism to pull the tape in and eject and had roll that back until the mechanism spits out the tape, also if your handy and would like to replace the bad parts let me know and I will help you get the parts you need and work with you until it back to normal. Please don't touch the heads on the drum or the audio head as you could cause damage there ;-)In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank you and have a wonderful day!Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Michael

Thanks for your reply The good news here is that the the tape decided to play so I watched the footage and let it run to the end of the tape hoping it would rewind?? It did not rewind, however I pressed the eject button and it worked. I am relieved to retrieve it. I agree it requires a clean up and check belts etc. I am taking this tape to be copied to disc to a local company this week who transfer tapes and films. They have numerous VCRs including Betamax. So I am sure they will advise me of a local repair company who can look at my recorder. I don't want to tackle this job myself. I will let you know the results in due course thanks for your help. Regards Alan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Michael

Can I buy replacement belts online etc if required?

Hi yes you can get them I will see what is available.You can get them from searpartsdirect.comOr this website: http://www.palsite.com/pref_belts.htmlLet me know how it goes, Its best to speak with customer service at Sears for this.Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Michael I have made a note of that information. I have not proceeded with my repair at the moment.

Ok well I understand , but if you need me for anything please let me know.and have a great afternoon.Tech Michael