Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Panasonic viera 42" plasma auto switching from Sky to TV roughly

Panasonic viera 42" plasma auto switching from Sky to TV roughly same time every evening (never day time) then the switching increases in frequency from then on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. What is the full model number off of the back of the TV and how long have you owned the set for please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for your response. It's a Panasonic Viera tqfd729. We've had it from new and it's around 11-12 years old. Never had a problem with it until recently. When watching via hdmi 1 which is sky port it will flick itself over to TV mode, Sky remains on and playing and once in TV mode channel window comes on intermittently too. It can go for hours without flicking over but once it has started flicking to TV mode it occurs more and more frequently.
Any ideas?
Thanks Fiona
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. Offhand, that model number does not show up as anything- and I've been working with Panasonic sets for almost 20 years. Can you check that model number again? The reason I ask, is that this is either an issue with the TV's Mainboard (which would require replacement, as it is the AV Input processing board), or possible a reset to factory defaults may help. Let me know and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah does TH-42PX700B make more sense?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Ah thank you- yes it does. Taking a look at that model now.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the only user level reset you can try- is to disconnect the TV from power- then remove the HDMI cabling from the back of the set. Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 full seconds and release. Wait a minute then reconnect the HDMI cabling and plug the set back into power. Attempt to operate the set normally again (this reboots the EEPROM- which is the processor on the Mainboard), and see if it switches Inputs on it's own. If it does not- then the TV simply needed to be reset as it had a glitch in it's processor. However if it does not, then this requires component replacement in the set- specifically the mainboard- which is what processes and routes the external AV inputs on the TV. The average cost for that type of repair is between £800-900 parts and labor I'm afraid, and since the set is 11-12 years old, this may not be cost effective- as a new LED set can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this one. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Aric, we will give that a whirl as it's driving me mad right now every 2-3 minutes and has even just turned itself off and on again, it doesn't usually do that!
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I can understand that, and I'm hoping for the best on this. If not, though, as stated above, it will require the Mainboard be replaced- which is an expensive endeavor on this set. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think so thank you. Just reset and all good at the moment, time will tell! If not a new tv I think. Thanks