Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Got 3 dark spots on screen 2 approx 8" round and an L shaped

Customer Question

Got 3 dark spots on screen 2 approx 8" round and an L shaped one at left side halfway down going out 12" then going down to bottom of the screen
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV model is 47LN613V-ZB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone going to answer this question?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. My apologies for any delay in getting you an answer. Most of us techs here are in the US on a much different time zone, and your question also appears to have been accidentally posted to the wrong category so none of us TV guys saw it until just now. Initially can you please tell me more about these spots? If you can send a photo that would be even better.Does it happen on all inputs/sources?Do they also affect the tvs on screen setup menus?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on all inputs no it does not affect menu's when it first started it was flashing dark at top then the other spots started to show and they are starting to spread
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If you use any of the built in apps in the tv (like netflix, youtube, etc), are those affected by the spots?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Can I see a photo with the lg input or setup menus showing if possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is on the screen all the time no matter what source is being used or any apps
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You said it does not affect the menus though, so are you saying that the menus float in front of those spots, and none of the menu text/images appear darkened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it is there all the while just less noticeable
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Since these are actual spots, and not lines, if they never change color, don't move around, etc, then that tends to indicate a fault inside the tv. These are usually known as pressure points in the panel, meaning that something may have hit the tv or caused the screen to be bent/twisted at some point. It may also be a manufacturing defect where some of the layers of the lcd panel are delaminating or shorting out. If you and a helper grab the tv at each side and gently twist in opposite directions (think of wringing out a wet rag), do the spots improve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No does not make any difference
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for checking. What I was looking for there is to see if there may be some bad/loose connecting cables/bonds inside. If they did change with twisting it could indicate that. Since it did not, it points to an internal panel issue.There is unfortunately no practical fix for that, as the entire screen (lcd panel assembly) would have to be replaced, which is never really feasible.This is a 2013 model, so I am assuming you are out of warranty at this point unless you have purchased an extended service plan.If outside of the warranty, it will not be worth fixing. The cost of the panel alone is about as much as a new tv, and several hours of labor are required on top of that to strip the tv down and rebuild it around a new panel (which realistically won't be available anyway once the model is out of production).So really replacing the tv is the only option at this point, other than to continue using it as-is, if you can tolerate the disturbance to the picture. I would expect it to begin slowly degrading further though until it gets darker or affects other parts of the picture, and eventually has to be replaced entirely. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I think I will try and claim on my house insurance
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
It is faint (in the photos) but I am seeing it everywhere, so that does confirm panel fault.It wouldn't hurt to contact LG and complain as well, they may offer you a credit toward a new or refurbished model, and an insurance claim may be reasonable as well, though there is really no liable cause for this (it is not typically the result of lightning or surges) but more likely a manufacturing defect. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you send me a report and approximate cost invoice so I can send it to LG, they say that they may contribute or replace the TV. Fingers crossed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In UK sterling if possible
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I can't send you an invoice, but I can tell you that the panel part would be expected to be about $600 (usd) and another $200-250 for labor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They need a report and estimate to be able to help me
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You can print (or copy/paste and email) this conversation, and submit that to them. For contacting LG directly, they have factory service techs, so I'm not seeing why they'd even care about a report from another tech, they'd want to look at it on their own, or send one of their local authorized engineers to check it themselves. In the support format of this chat, I'm limited to corresponding with you via the chat. I can't give a hands on diagnostic report without seeing the tv in person and I can't send an invoice for repairs I didn't perform.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just limited in what I can do by the scope of this support site. What specifically are they asking you for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all red tape the customer service want to go through so thanks for your help but it seems like I'm going to have to buy a new one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want a report of the fault and an approximate cost of repair
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I sent an offer for a more detailed diagnostic and repair estimate invoice that I can do via email.If you want to just print out this current question page, you may be able to use it as well. If you want the more detailed one accept that offer and let me know your email and I'll send over something more official for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just been called by a domestic and general rep for insurance on my home appliances and it is now covered so thanks for your help and advice and I will be claiming next week lol
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Great news, I'm glad they will cover it for you. If you end up needing anything else, feel free to get back in touch. Nathan