info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a 48 inch television and the standby is flashing red

I have a 48 inch television and the standby is flashing red and green and it wont turn on. Please any advice on how I can get my tv to work please.
Do you have the full model details from the sticker on the back please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its an LCD Colour TV Model No: 40L1333DB

Disconnect the TV from the mains power and wait a little bit.Then connect it again and press the power button using remote control to power ON the TV. If that does not cure it then it could be a software problem - try this;1.Press menu2.Go to settings then go to other settings3.Find where it says Software upgrade Press OK4.Change automatic scanning to disabled and you should not have this problem anymore
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can I change the settings if it wont turn on? I have disconnected it how long shall I leave it unplugged?

At least 5 minutes with the plug out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If that doesn't work and the tv wont turn on what do I do then? I hope the first option works.

There are two ways to get your television out of standby, either cycle the power at the mains or press and hold the standby button on the television itself for 8 seconds until the red light goes out, then release and try turning on about 5 seconds or more later.According to Toshiba, the fault is due to the automatic update for the over air firmware - this is locking the televisions up and they are refusing to come out of standby.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is the standby button on the front of the tv? Does Toshiba say that the tv will come out of standby?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just plugged it back in after about 10 mins and its still flashing. My standby button on the front of the tv doesn't seem to be able to push it. I am getting frustrated now.

Is that the button or the light?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is where the light is flashing yes on the front. Where is the standby button on the tv?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had it unplugged for 30 minutes and put it back in and still flashing and not responding. I don't know where the standby button is?

Usually a row of buttons underneath where the lights are
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are no buttons underneath where the light is flashing.

Welcome
Seemingly your question was mis-categorized and answered by ......a plumber sorry about that the plumber should have asked the question to be moved .
OK is the light blinking and pausing please like 4 blinks pause 4 blinks?
Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is just constantly blinking continuously

OK you have already done the initial checks your problem is the mainboard is bad, it will need to be replaced now if the set is out of warranty the only options left open to you is to carry the work out yourself I will help and support you with that throughout OR call in a technician, now just so you understand the work involves replacing the mainboard you follow a procedure I will pass on to you, the mainboard is a plug in board no soldering or anything like that
Let me know if you can do this
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do I get a new mainboard? I can try and do it myself. The tv is only 19months old. I got it as a gift for my phone contract so I don't think it has a warranty.

It may be an idea to pursue warranty as there is a european directive that says all electronic product should have a TWO year warranty so contact toshiba via the website and find out first before we move on Let me knowAnthony
If that falls flat we will move on with getting a mainboard
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it could be best just to jump ahead and get the main board. How much do they cost?

You need to get the back off the set, locate the main-board thats the one with all the AV connectors on, unplug and unscrew the board from the chassis, remove the board ,carefully examine the board for its part number usually found on a sticky label on the board or etched on the board, (you may need to go through a few codes before you find the right number)when you get the part-number try www.flattvparts.co.uk first, if they don't have it google the part-number to locate a supplier, its the reverse to fit plug in and switch on TV (plug and play)
If you have any problems take a photo of the inside of the set and upload using the paperclip on your toolbar I will put markers on for you
Let me know if you need more info
Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have
Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay thank you for your help. I will get it out later and have a look and try and order it. Thank you I will contact you if I need any help. Thanks. Dan Orman

Dan that is fine
Please before you go rate the answer positively, the session will remain open as long as you need it thanks again
Anthony
info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience