Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Toshiba L64 digital series, wife pushed button on controller

toshiba L64 digital series, wife pushed button on controller and tv would not function since.
all the menus are rolling all the time, have switched off and disconnected the supply plug and aerial. still the same
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the complete model number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
toshiba 42L6453D digital series
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a failed main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct. If you are still under the 1 year factory warranty, then toshiba would repair/replace it for you. Beyond that 1 year period, you'd be on your own for all costs. At that point, if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, etc. A used replacement board would be about a $50 part for this setIf you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. You may want to consider replacement as an option as well, even though it is a relatively new model. You can get a brand new set with a fresh warranty for little more than repairs would cost. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan