hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634
TV

CANT get polaroid smart tv to connect to wifi

Category: TV
rwhill1,
Experience:
replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark,Could you provide the model number of the TV please?Regards,Richard
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
I can't , I can't the manual , I've got the box but doesn't have anything on all I can tell you is that's it's a Polaroid 40" full HD smart TV, I spent hours looking online trawling through websites that instruction manuals available to download but I could even find one Polaroid smart tv manual in any size tv , the to has an information section when you press I and it tells about features and troubleshooting. But nothing there too
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Can't find the manual that should read
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Did you buy it from Asda?
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Is there a model number on the back of the TV?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
I found my to advertised on gum tree and Amazon and got a model number from there but when I downloaded the manual it was different tv , looking through forums there is a suggestion that the manual may contain ip addresses and DVD numbers etc so the modem can see the tv but I just cat find the manual anywhere
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
No model number on back of tv either , it's just nowhere to be seen , yes I bought it from About was 6 months ago
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Honestly a few adverts aside its almost like this to never existed very little help online
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Is there a model number in any of the system menus?
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Does it have wired network (ethernet connection) too?
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried calling Asda, as guess it's still under guarantee - Asda Customer Relations – 0800(###) ###-####
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
There is no model number anywhere , the menus , the box , the tv just nowhere to be seen , it has Ethernet but my modem too far. Away from tv , in any event the modem and tv are in separate rooms too so wouldn't use wired
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
No I haven't tried calling asda , the forums I've been suggest they are no help, I was hopping to avoid that as the forum suggested their responses are generic and they're not technically proficient either
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Is there somewhere on the menu to enable the network?Have you selected the correct type of encryption and entered your password?Is it definitely in range of your Wifi router?If you have a smart phone you could try using it's wifi hotspot temporarily
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
The range is fine as my ps4 and android box pick up internet fine , the password ***** ***** but there isn't option in to to chose encryption type ithe to just scans wifi network located mine and 2 neighbours when I select mine it asks for password ***** I enter then says please wait and nothing happens
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to try the wifi hotspot on your phone?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Tried that the tv doesn't find my iPhone either
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
I've found network settings under advanced settings where it asks zip address subnet mask default gateway dns server1 and 2 , these values are All 000:000:000:000 I'm sure it's something to do with that I just don't know what goes in there apart from IP address
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
they should look something like:IP address: 192.168.1.187, Subnet: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.254, DNS server1: 192.168.1.254
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
They are all set 0000:000:000:000 should I try the numbers you suggested ?
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Yes, try that please
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
I've tried that , nothing happens however I can't type individual values so I used 192:168:001:187 for the IP address ( for example)
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
You may need to re-start your router please
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Still nothing , it can find my wifi just won't connect , says please wait then nothing happens
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to see the TV in the admin of your router?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
No , the has its own MAC address and its shown in list of devices connecting to wifi
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
You mean the TV is shown in router admin?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
No it's not shown at all, the router admin shows devices connected and TVs is not listed
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Understood
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Can you try these instead please:IP: 192.168.1.245, DNS: 8.8.8.8
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Just them two settings ?! Or should I still use the previous values you gave for subnet and gateaway
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Yes use previous for subnet and gateway please
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I've go to out for a few hours so I'll have to try them values later so I'll be back on later
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
OK, thanks
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard I've been checking around and have finally connected my to the wifi , but it will not connect to the Internet , the solution for wifi was to change the router operating Chanel from 1 to 6 or in my case 11 to 6 , now the to connects to the wifi no problem but not the Internet
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark,That's good news. Try removing the various settings we put in above settings and see if they are populated automatically once it connects to the WiFi.Regards,Richard
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
I already have I removed all of the settings and once tv connected to wifi they all pre populated , it's weird as someone suggested a software update , I tried this before but with no connection nothing happened , then once tv connected to wifi I tried again and it said no update required so it must connecting to the net but when ever I press YouTube or browser buttons it say no internet access please check your connection and settings
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Might be worth re-starting the router.Assume it appears in the routers list now?What other network settings are there on the TV
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
The tv still doesn't show in devices list despite being connected to the wifi , the settings are
Ip 169:254:196:218
Subnet 255:255:255:00
Gateway 000:000:000:000
Dns 1 000:000.000:000
Dns 2 008:008:004:004
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Do the other devices (laptop, etc) have IP addresses starting 169?
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Can you see in the router admin what the gateway address is?If so enter that in Gateway on the TV
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Also enter the Gateway address as DNS 1
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
All other devices start 192 . I can't see the gateway anywhere inrouter admin any idea where it will be
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Okay, can you look at the wifi settings on your smartphone or laptop and tell me what IP address, Gateway and DNS they are using please.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
IPv4 address is 192:168.0.5
Can't find gateway and Dns is 8.8.8.8. But again I can't input single digits in the to so would have to be 008:008:008:008
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Found default gateway 192.168.0.1
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Try IP:192.168.000.200, DNS: 008:008:008:008, Gateway: 192.168.000.001
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Thought it might be!
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Wifi connects but still no internet
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Try setting DNS to the same as the Gateway.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Same as before but interestingly enough dns2 keeps reverting to 008:008:008:008 without my inputting it ?!
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
On your laptop can you open a command window (DOS) and then type ipconfig /all and see if DHCP is enabled.Is there anywhere on the TV network settings to enable DHCP.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
DHCP is enabled on laptop but no option on tv , seem to have gone backwards this morning too as tv won't connect to wifi unless i use these valuesIp 169:254:196:218
Subnet 255:255:255:00
Gateway 000:000:000:000
Dns 1 000:000.000:000
Dns 2 008:008:004:004
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Okay it appears the tv will only connect to the wifi as long as either did server is set to :008:008:004:004 the other values are set to 0 and tv connects to wifi even without an IP address
rwhill1, replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark,
I'm not sure there's much else I can suggest, the 169 IP address would seem to indicate that it can't communicate to the host which might be solved if we could enable DHCP. We've tried manual settings similar to your laptop and they don't seem to work, so I'll opt out and see if another expert can assist you.
Best Regards,
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
OkayThanks for your time and help anyway RichardCheers
hongkongpom, Installer
replied 1 year ago.
Please kindly tell me if the TV has built in Wifi or if it's using a plug in Wifi dongle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
wifi dongle
hongkongpom, Installer replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. My gut feeling is that the dongle is the problem. The 169 address simply means that the TV can't receive an IP address from your router using the dongle (when using DHCP or Auto which so 169 is assigned so that it can contact other devices in the same subnet). This means that either the dongle is not compatible with the TV or that it is faulty. I understand that the TV has an Ethernet port but the router is too far away. I would suggest to purchase a Home plug which can send the data over your electrical line or another option is a wireless bridge which will deliver the Wifi signal to the TV via a LAN cable plugged into the bridge and TV. What I would suggest if at all possible is to carry the TV closer to the router and then try connecting it to the router using a long LAN cable just to confirm that the LAN plug works on the TV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Hi there thanks for your input , I have since managed to get an Ethernet cable long enough and whilst the tv had no problem connecting to the wifi , it still wouldn't connect to the internet I pressed both the YouTube and browse buttons -and got the same messages "no internet connection please check network settings" so it's not the dongle which also mr with the tv , the SSID is not hidden as I've checked that too
Good morning. Ok if the TV still can't connect then either the TV is faulty or the router is stopping you connecting. This can be if the router has MAC filtering set up. If a friend comes to your home whom has never connected to your network can they do so? If not, then that means the router has been set to only allow certain users to connect. If they can then the problem lies with the TV I'm afraid. You can try to reset the router and see if that helps. If you want to try this, there should be a reset button or hole on the back of the router. This will put the router back to the default factory setting so any changes that you made to the router; be it the SSID or password ***** be lost. The SSID & password ***** on a label on the bottom of the router will apply.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago.
Hi there what is MAC filtering ? There is an option on my router to add a device to Mac filtering list using the devices MAC address , however NO devices are currently added to that list , the router can't see the TV as it never shows in the list of wireless or connected devices , should I add the tv to the Mac filtering list ? If not why? regarding guests using wifi yes they can but they would still need the wifi password ***** to entering a coffee shop and using their wifi you can access it but will need the password ***** ive tried resetting the router before several times with no success but the router not seeing the to tells me the issue is he communication or lack of between router and tv
MAC filtering is a way to only allow specific people onto your network. If there is nothing there then this feature isn't enabled. As I stated, this now points to a TV problem but you can try to reset your router and see what happens. Also please try to turn off the TV and unplug it from the power. Wait 60seconds and then plug it back in and turn it on. Can it now connect to the network? If not and resetting the router doesn't help then the problem is with the TV I'm afraid to tell you. It's not a Wifi problem because you can't connect using a network cable either.
You can also try doing a full reset of the TV