Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Sharp LCDModel: LCD 20AD5E-BKSerialNo:###-##-####his

Customer Question

Sharp LCD
Model: LCD 20AD5E-BK
SerialNo:###-##-####
This TV has given me perfect service for a number of years.
It is mounted on a wall stand.
I now have a problem with the screen going blank intermittently with perfect sound still available.
The picture when available is very clear and sharp with no interference.
With a blank screen, if I hold a torch to the screen I can still see images in the back round. (an internet suggestion)
The TV aerial wall socket is connected from the main direct aerial feed in the lounge through a booster/amplifier and routed into the kitchen where the wall mount is located.
There is a filter fitted to the coax cable before it is plugged into the TV.
This filter was supplied to all households to stop 4G interference I am told.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty inverter board (which is what drives the backlighting, and why you can see an image with the torch), though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. The difficulty here is in finding parts which are really no longer available. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $200 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age, replacement will usually make more sense, you can get a brand new LED tv with fresh warranty for $150 or less. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried your suggested method without success. I can have a picture for hours without problems and then it just goes blank but with perfect sound.
When I had a blank screen I also tried to bring up the menus with the remote and nothing showed at all.
Then a little tap on the back of the set and all is restored until the next time.
I am not sure it is the inverter board.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
This is a backlighting issue, it may not be the inverter specifically, but that is by far the most common cause.It could also be a failing of the fluorescent lamps, or a fault in the power supply.Having it happen intermittently and resolved by tapping points to a thermal issue or bad connection (loose harness, bad solder joints, etc) This is still something that would ultimately require repairs however.