Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have an internet TV - Samsung LE32C650, bought in

Customer Question

Hello We have an internet TV - Samsung LE32C650, bought in November 2010. We have it on a wired connection through the domestic wiring to the router. BT Broadband Extender. In the last couple of weeks, when watching TV on iplayer the picture has suddenly
frozen, then it fades, then the TV switches off. Happens randomly - once per hour long programme - or 3 times. Very frustrating as you then have to attempt to find the place with the clumsy fast forward. My question - is it likely to be the TV, the extender
or the broadband that's at fault? Broadband is Plusnet, fibre.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow that was quick!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Any of these are a possibility, but I'd suspect the tv firmware first,as there have been a significant number of problems with these sets lately. Have you gone into the setup menu (under support or advanced) on the tv and looked for the Update function?Please try that first,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
If no change, I'd like to have you next test another app (netflix, etc), something other than itv.If it happens there too, I'd ask you to (temporarily) move the tv and plug it direct to the router, bypassing the extender, and observe performance that way. This would help to further isolate the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couldn't find an Update function. There was Software Upgrade but it said software not yet available.
We don't have Netflix or anything else like that. (Tried a Netflix free trial last April and couldn't get it to work). We just use BBC iplayer. Moving the TV not practical as the wires are not accessible. :-(
As it's late now and we have a busy weekend ahead I think we'd better continue next week. I didn't expect instant help!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, Mary. Bookmark/favorite this page and you may get back to me later if you wish (next week is fine).I can guide you through a manual update process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Nathan
Could do it now if you are available?
Mary
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing. Did you try the process of moving things around at all (bypassing the extender) if possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can't do that I'm afraid. Both TV and router are fixed. We could try it with just wifi dongle, if we can find the dongle ... we're looking for it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find it, sorry
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thats okay, next step will be the manual firmware update process.Can you give me the complete model number off the back of the tv?What you sent already is correct, but there are usually several more letters behind that also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here goes:
Model Number LE32C650L1K
There's also model code: as above +XXU
and S/N: B22D3HEZB00306R
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Just what I needed, thanks,
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
go here: http://bit.ly/1mcT5CWto download the latest firmware
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
The site will say there is a problem, but the file is safe,click at the blue link on the bottom of that page to download
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Download the file, and open it, then it will run a program to extract (uncompress) some files,you'll copy those files to the root directory (top level, not within a folder) of a usb memory stick/drive from the computer.Then you'll plug that memory stick into the usb port on the tv, and go into the tv setup menu and look for the UPDATE function
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that worked absolutely fine!
Many thanks.
Obviously we won't know whether it made any difference to the specific problem until we've watched a decent amount of iplayer, but we are very optimistic. But how are people supposed to find out about these things?? And is it likely that the update will have done anything else good to the system? Anyway I'll give you your rating now and again, many thanks. Mary
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Great, glad that install worked, Mary. And my compliments to you for being able to go through the process without exact step by step instructions, many people would have been flustered by this or needed more detail. There may be some other apps (netflix, etc) that were updated, and if you had amazon it would have been removed most likely. Hopefully that does the trick, if not we'd need to look into some other options with the router/extender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan - sadly it didn't fix the problem. Same issue when watching iplayer :-(
can we start it as a new question so you get rated twice? Pretty busy at the moment so not sure when, but possibly early next week. Mary