Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Dear Samsung Helper I have recently aquired a Samsung 32"

Customer Question

Dear *****sung Helper
I have recently aquired a Samsung 32" UE32J5500 TV. I also have a Sharp DV RW360
DVD/VCR recorder. The recorder used to be connected to the now replaced TV via SCART leads but the new TV does not have SCART connectors. Furthermore, the recorder does not have HDMI connectors, which the new TV has. Therefore, I have connected the recorder to the new TV using component video leads. Unfortunately when using the Samsung remote "source" switch and then selecting the component video square, I get the "No signal" response. Please, what am I doing wrong, I am using the recommended red, blue and green type leads?
A detailed explanation ( I am 83 years old ) would very much be appreciated. Thank you.
Yours sincerely, John ********
Category: TV
Expert:  rwhill1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

I think the Component Video output on your DVD/VCR only works when using a DVD - can you confirm if you can play a DVD OK please?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get the "no signal" response when the DVD player is playing a DVD disc ( indicated on the DVD front display by changing time digits ) but of course the output is not showing on the new TV.
Expert:  rwhill1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Have you got 5 leads connected; 2 Audio (Red, white) + 3 Video (Red, Blue, Green) - can you ensure that they are not mixed up at both ends and pushed in firmly please?

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked all the things you're asking. Also I am not prepared to pay a further £13.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I await the reply and hope that it will be a bit more helpful than the obvious questions so far.
Expert:  rwhill1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Have you tried selecting the different items under Source to see if the picture appears - please ensure the DVD is playing before doing this.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already told you that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awaiting
Expert:  rwhill1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Is it possible that the leads are faulty, do you have any others you can try, or use the audio pair in place of 2 of the video one's and then repeat to cover all 3. Each time play the DVD first then turn on the TV and try selecting the various sources.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The leads last used are brand new, but I have tried using other leafs.
So far you are asking me things I have obviously tried without success - that is why I'm coming to you for an answer, which I suspect you don't know. Furthermore, with all due respects, you keep telling me you are handing me over to a technician, but keep answering yourself. Perhaps the technician knows from experience what the answer is.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you.

Please find a button on DVD remote control labeled as Setup. Playback DVD disc in player and press and hold Setup button for 5 seconds. Select Component video input source in your TV. Do you get DVD playback picture now?

Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Shahid. I am unable to do as you ask at the moment (TV in use by other members) but will do as you ask and reply with answer later.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No problem, please take your time. I'm going offline for few hours and will reply you as soon as I come online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressing the DVD remote "setup" for 5secs with the DVD on and a disc inserted either playing or not playing results in "no signal' when "source" on new TV remote then 'component video' are selected.
Of course for obvious reasons the result of pressing "setup" cannot be displayed because 'no signal'. Over to you - I can't give verdict on your performance yet for obvious reasons.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Holding Setup button for 5 seconds on DVD remote will switch On Progressive Scan mode and to enable component video output.

Lets try AV cable connection (it has 3 RCA wires, yellow for video and red-white for audio), plug yellow pin into Video Out at rear of DVD player and connect it into yellow/green pin at back of TV. Red and white pins into left-right audio Out on DVD jacks and hook them into Left and Right Audio In at back of TV. Select AV input instead of component video as source in TV to see if DVD screen come up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid
Thanks for the further suggestion.
We are making some progress, but still not there.
Regarding your last suggestion - firstly, the yellow AV connector on the DVD is labelled S-VIDEO and is about 3/4 cm in diameter with about four pins arranged in a horseshoe shape. Anyway, I found an adaptor for converting it to the normal single co- axial type same as the red and blue. The outcome is that I get a playback picture on the new TV but it's in black and white.
Selecting picture and trying to select colour does not work.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, can you please reconfirm model number of Sharp DVD player?

I'm having hard time to get related manual for troubleshooting purpose.

Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DVD is Sharp RW 360 as stated in my original request. But I have now solved the problem.
Following on from my previous report to you about the playback being in black and white, with the DVD on, but not playing, on the DVD remote, select "setup", select "playback" then "video" then "video out", finally select "component interlace".
When "play" is again selected on the DVD the playback on the new TV is in colour. Problem solved!
Thank you for your prompts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Shahid. All working OK now.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, glad to know that all is set now.
Have nice time!
Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid - If you celebrate it, Merry Christmas!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Shahid.