Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

HiI have an LE40B550After turning it on; the picture shows

I have an LE40B550
After turning it on; the picture shows for about 3 seconds.
It is clear and sharp, but then the screen goes completely black
The sound is there but no pic.
This happens every time it is switched on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Andy. Can you bring up the samsung menu at all?If you hold a torch to the screen (45 degree angle, dim/dark room), can you make out any image there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nathan,
I have just tried the torch test and the picture is there, obviously very hard to see.
I will try again in the morning and see if I can find the Samsung MenuAt present it is just playing the SKY functions pages, and I can see the page using the torch
It has not been used with the Samsung remote for a while, only through the SKY remote
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a bad inverter board (which drives the backlighting) or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age, replacement will make more sense though. This set is already past its service life and repairs would not extend that significantly (it would not last another 5 years). You can get a brand new and updated LED tv with a better picture and fresh warranty for the same price range as repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Will try this in the morning.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, Andy. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan __Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no change in the outcome after trying several times.
So looks like it is BER.Thanks for you helpAndy