Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an LG47LE960V LED TV purchased in 2013. A horizontal

I have an LG47LE960V LED TV purchased in 2013. A horizontal black line, like a length of black thread, appeared on the screen recently. I am advised by a repair engineer and LG itself, that the problem is a screen fault and requires a replacement screen. What I need to know is, how did this randomly appear; what caused it? The TV has never been misused and is situated well away from sources of heat and cold.
Category: TV
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Can you send me a picture of the problem? If you leave the TV on for a long time does the line eventually go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid I cannot send a picture, but the problem is very easy to explain. Five inches from the left side of the TV, when switched on, a vertical black line is on the screen, no thicker than a line of black thread. The line is always there when the TV is on and is perfectly static.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Have you cleaned it yet? Dust around the boards can cause issues like this so can loose connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said in my original question, the problem has already been diagnosed by an engineer and LG itself as a screen fault. all I asked for was what causes random screen faults. Both the engineer and the manufacturer have said that a screen replacement is unavoidable. The matter is going to court under the Sale of Goods Act and I have to establish culpability.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
OK it sounds like you refuse to troubleshoot and this issue can be caused by other things unless you physically had an LG technician look at it they can not be sure it is the screen. One example is the tcon board. Since you refuse to try anything and I refuse to give information without troubleshooting so I am sure the information I give you is correct. I also would not trust a technician that calls themselves and engineer as those are two very different things. Due to that I will be opting out rather than continuing with you. Good luck I hope you get this resolved.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'm a different expert. This is either a failed panel (screen) or a bad LCD controller. Generally a thin line like this is a bad controller board and not the screen, but if the techs diagnosed it already- then we can go with that. What causes the screen to go bad is NOTHING at all you did to the set, and nothing can be done to prevent it. I've seen this issue HUNDREDS of times with LG, Samsung, Vizio- you name it. All of these sets have their screens manufactured by the same plants in China, and the cause of the problem is nothing more than POOR QC in the factory and these being made quickly and cheaply for pennies on the dollar in these factories. There's no method to fix it, prevent it or reverse it- when and once it fails- it's out of your hands. We see this issue commonly especially with the larger screen sizes and it's not uncommon for a set to be used normally and have the screen fail within 2-3 years these days. Such is the state of modern day electronics. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company