Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Philips FreeviewPlusHD Box - Is stuck. Is there a restart schedule

Philips FreeviewPlusHD Box - Is stuck. Is there a restart schedule - i.e. hold on/off button and another?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello, What's the model number of the Philips Freeview HD box please?Also, please elaborate exactly how it's "stuck".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S/N - UJ111032018186
Model: HDT8520/05
Will not turn on, or only turns on for very short time - always reverts to 'stand-by' mode.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, how long exactly does it come on for? Also, how old is the unit? When did this occur, was it after a storm or power outage?Additionally, are you using an HDMI cable- and has that cable been changed yet? Please provide as much detail as possible so we can sort this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot remember when we purchased the unit, probably 3 or 4 years ago..Error occurred at the weekend. Tape was set for programme and was recording but then stopped mid-programme. Tried turning on/off and disconnecting the unit but no joy.
Doesn't turn on for any period but just lights up the unit and goes back to sleep.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was trying to record the dancing but the unit jammed when it requested 'programme' or 'series'. I selected 'programme' but it then stopped working, and just went to continuous circle mode.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but upon looking, there isn't a reset procedure for this unit and if it's going to standby mode, then it's because of an internal failure. Most common is the power supply PCB inside of the system has a failure and is kicking it back into standby mode. This is a protective circuit that engages when there is a short circuit inside of the Philips. The only way to correct this is service I'm afraid and in most cases it is more cost effective to replace the unit versus repairs. I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and I wish there were a quick fix. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.