Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Sony Bravia TV Model KDL-42W653A, Serial No.(###) ###-####I

I have a Sony Bravia TV Model KDL-42W653A, Serial No.(###) ###-####
I am not able to get the Teletext system to operate on BBC TV Channels. Is there something that needs to be done in the settings or is the remote broken. The unit is just about 2 years old.
Many thanks.
Dermot Williams
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Dermot. How are you getting your stations? Aerial? Sky box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My TV is a Smart TV and is connected through an aerial. It has the usual Freeview built in. I had noticed that, recently, the "Telextext" was sometimes taking a bit longer to react when the necessary "text" button was pressed. I can see that the TV does react when I press the "Text" button which suggests that the button itself is working???
Hope this helps.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. This is indeed an internal issue, either firmware or hardware related.Initially, please go into the sony setup menu and look for the firmware (software) update function, to be sure it has the latest update.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the software update. The TV has the current software.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Okay next step then is to do a retune (auto program) from the tv channels menu.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that - more than once.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Does it happen only on the bbc channels? Does it happen with any apps like netflix?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried any other channels. I was used to using this particular service only on BBC channels as I was of the opinion that only BBC had this service.
One thing that I have just noticed is that when I press the "text" button, the BBC Red Button seems to be triggered. I accept that this probably gives the sort of information that I may be looking for but it is much slower. However, has the teletext service that I found quicker and easier to use now been terminated? If so, I have seen no information about this.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well there is a difference between teletext and captioning.Captioning (subtitles) should work on all channels/programmes)Teletext is a slightly different function, in that it often mirrors captions, but can be used also to relay added information that is not spoken such as weather, financial information, or provide video captioning (descriptive text for the blind). Not all programs/services offer teletext, and it isn't channel specific but is really determined by whomever is publishing the particular show.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but maybe I have not explained exactly what I mean by teletext. This was simply a BBC information services with pages which provide specific information on various topics such as news, sport weather. You simply key in a particular number, for example 316 which would give you current football scores. This is channel specific.
In my case there was no involvement with sub-titles.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying what you were looking for.I believe they may have stopped airing such information via aerial for teletext, as everyone is transitioning to IPTV (internet sources). Have you tried running the bbc app on the tv, to look for the teletext/banner functions there/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but I'm not ( as you will have realised) not very IT savvy! The only BBC apps on my TV relate to BBC News and BBC Sport. The BBC News does not react to the Text button on the remote controller.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't expect it to have a text button function, but what I was thinking more was that within the bbc app, you'd see options to view other "channels" that would have the info you're looking for.I'm in the US, and we don't get bbc on most of our devices, so I can't be more specific with step by step information unfortunately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nathan. It looks as though this is something which you (or anyone) cannot easily resolve! I think that I will need to contact the BBC to try and find out if they have stopped the service. As I mentioned before, I have not seen any information to say that the service is no longer available.
It looks to me as though everything is now based on the "BBC Red Button" which looks to me to be an internet driven information system.This would also explain why that Red Button service is now activated when I press the TEXT button. It is probably OK but only as long as the internet is working??!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
I would agree with that as well, and I would expect to lose functionality during the transition.Further, I'd expect that as they transition over, Sony will at some point come out with a firmware update, which will allow that teletext button to fully and properly trigger the "red" feature and engage some type of banner relaying the desired information.
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Many thanks for your help. Happy New Year!!