hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

We have bought a Toshiba Regza from a friend and all works

Customer Question

We have bought a Toshiba Regza from a friend and all works great BUT we've bought a Sonos Playbar and need to get the Optical Output working as currently we have no sound coming from the playbar (all set up worked ok). I've searched everywhere online and it says to select 'audio setup' from the menu and change the audio output to the optical BUT our menu has no option for 'audio setup' and no where can we find a way to select the optical option. We are totally stuck. What do we do?
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV model no: 37X3030DB
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.
Hello I want to make sure that you are looking on the TV audio menu to activate the optical output to the Sonos please?​I cannot find the TV manual on line but if you can take a photo (or scan the page) of the audio settings shown in the manual I can direct you from there.You can attach the photo using the paperclip icon at the top right within your reply screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ya, I've found 2 menus: one on A/D audio and nothing there. The main TV setting is the main menu - photos attached.
Thank you. A/D would be Analogue/Digital.​Would you mind sending me photos of the settings/option in the menu which is the cog icon on the far right please?Also if you unplug the optical cable where it plugs into the playbar and shine the end on white piece of paper do you see a red light please (don't shine the light into your eye)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went through all the troubleshooting options for Toshiba and yes the red light is on and coming through the optical lead. The sound works fine if we plug direct into the Sky box or the Xbox but not when plugged into the TV.We realised we had Scart leads connecting the above to the TV so have now got HDMI leads connecting them (scarts are gone - we only just swapped over from a B&O tv which was scart only).Now all data coming into the TV is digital.I'll send over the pic of the settings menu later on when I can get in front of the TV.
Thank you for the update. Ok some TVs will not output optical sound for a signal coming into the TV irrespective of it coming in on Scart or HDMI due to copyright protection.​If you use your TV aerial and watch a TV show this way, do you hear the sound on the Soundbar using the optical please?