Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Samsung tv says weak or no signal in the evenings and at weekends,

Samsung tv says weak or no signal in the evenings and at weekends, perfect at other times. What's up with it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand these times when it goes out would appear to be "peak" usage times- when most people are home and watching TV. That could be a clue as to what's happening. I need to know- are you in a private home with one aerial entering the home? Or in some sort of apartment complex where others share the same cable/aerial feed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At home 1 aerial
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, this is bizarre, because you're definitely losing signal during peak hours. How many other TV's in your home that share the aerial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 tv 1 aerial
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you're losing signal when there's a loss of signal coming into your home (the "drop" location). Is your aerial attached to an external antenna, or a cable feed from a paid cable provider?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
External aerial fixed to top of house, is only around 12 months old was perfect with old tv
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just to confirm my email is ***@******.*** as it said already an account when I put in my details.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
The reason for that would be the internal tuner in this set is less sensitive than the old TV. Samsung focuses more on the HDMI and HD Inputs than it does on providing a high quality DTV tuner in these sets. I would suggest purchasing an aerial amplifier to insert between the antenna feed and the TV itself (and also check all RF connectors to ensure they are secure, and the ground or pin is not loose, bent or otherwise compromised. If the cabling appears intact and sound, then I would install an amplifier at the antenna (drop) end of the signal to oost the gain to the set. The unit at the link below will work for this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-Digital-Freeview-Amplifier-Booster/dp/B00O2S0BP0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1453144836&sr=8-7&keywords=aerial+amplifier If you still run into the same issue with the amplifier in place (which is rare but not impossible) then the TV's tuner would be at faulty here and if the set is under warranty (less than one year from date of purchase), then I would contact Samsung, or the retailer and start a warranty repair ticket at this point. If the unit is over a year old, and you want to avoid out of pocket labor and parts expenses, then an external Humax (or similar) box connected between the aerial cable and the TV would bypass the TV's built in tuner and solve the issue. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Just to reiterate, there's no settings or adjustments in the TV itself that will cause it to have signal at one point and then lose it at a certain time period each day. It's an issue with the signal coming into the TV itself, or the TV's internal tuner that is the root cause which is why I recommended checking/improving upon all of the variables upstream from the TV to rule them out before determining the TV itself is the root cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** clarify with regards ***** ***** Amazon link they have a newer model showing, would that be better? Can the booster be situated in the loft where the aerial cable box is? Do I need to purchase extra cables with it ?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. The newer model would not make any difference as the function of the device remains unchanged (they're simply a DB booster that amplifies the aerial signal). To get the most performance out of the amplifier, it should be physically connected as close to the antenna as possible, but will still work further downstream towards the Cable Box. You will need one more additional RF cable to connect between the amplifier and the cable box. So the connections will look like this: Antenna------->Amplifier----->Cable Box----->TV. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.