Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I recently acquired a Sumsung LE32B457C6H television

Customer Question

I recently acquired a Sumsung LE32B457C6H television from my daughter. I have set it up (with a Virgin TIVO box attached) and it is working fine but....
I can't access the menu for settings e.g. colour or picture format etc. Also the volume control on the Samsung remote does not work.
( I use a scart connection between the TV and the Tivo box)
Can you help please? Thanks
Derek *********
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Does TV display any graphics on screen like video source info etc?Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the 'source' button works to move between tv and dvd etc
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I understand, does TV display video source list when press source button on TV or its remote?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - TV, Ext, AV etc
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, menu graphics should also appear when press menu button on TV or its remote.Please try again and press menu button a few times bit harder to see if menu option screen comes up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It says (!) Not availableAll options on 'source' appear to be 'greyed out' apart from the Ext option
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Video options would stay grayed out if don't get video signal from connected device, in other words sound option will enable when it get video signal and it's normal.Are you using Samsung remote that came with the TV?Also, have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall socket for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in and check if menu screen come up now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try when I get back to house. Am out now for 2 hrs
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please take your time and reply back with the result.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiHave unplugged & restarted TV - still the same result. The Menu, & Tools buttons just get a message 'Not available'
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry about it, let me repost this question so other experts can have a look into.I'm opting out as I need to go offline now.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi.I am waiting for a response. To sum up, I have paid £20 and the only technical advice I have received is.... to try turning the TV off and on again!! An 8 year old child could have suggested that.I look forward to hearing from you - in a constructive manner!Derek Lawson
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thanks for your patience,
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please I would like an answer or at least a sensible suggestion!
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is***** can take a look at this but first could you tell me which remote you got with this tv ?Is there a part number on it or at the back and perhaps in the battery compartment ?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Saw your last comment " I would like an answer or at least a sensible suggestion! "In that case I will tell you what is happening as an answer and then a suggestion ; This tv is a hospitality model that you will usually find in hotel/motel , public waiting rooms etc . and the reason the menu is not available is that it is made that way , it cannot be accessed without the master remote .The guest remote which is probably the one you have now can operate the tv but with limitations , it will not give you access to the menu .My suggestion would be to ask your daughter where she got the tv and perhaps get a hold of that master remote .Right now the only thing I could find on this is this remote ;http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Remote-Control-for-Samsung-LE32B457-LE32B457C6H-/111657930763Tried to get info from the Samsung website but no manual or any relevant info on this model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JackApologies - I have been away. Many thanks for your comments - that makes sense as she got it form a large hotel!
And thank you for the ebay link. That looks exactly the same as the one I have got but mine has the ref BN59-00901A and the ebay one has BN59 -00863A. Do you think that might be the 'master' one?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello againVery difficult to say , there very little info available on this tv but to tell you frankly I doubt it and was waiting for some feedback from you about the possibility of getting the master remote from that hotel.