Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

LG 50in TV Good Picture. 2years old All of a sudden will not

Customer Question

LG 50in TV Good Picture. 2years old All of a sudden will not switch on, makes a click noise top centre when trying to switch on
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Could you please provide the full model number of the tv, Donald?Do you see a solid or flashing power light on front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model LG 50 PK 350
serial no 101MANJ4N647
solid power light.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming, Donald. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. If you've only had it 2 years, then it was sold to you as old stock - and these plasma tvs are now considered obsolete. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** tried holding the power button the red light went out clicking stopped for about a minute ,then light came back on.
I live on the isle of Lewis, so power outages and fluctuations are unfortunately very common. And internet speed is 8Kb not mega bites
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That would explain the likely cause of the issue then.Whether repairing or replacing, you'd benefit greatly from adding a high quality powerline filter and surge protection device, or better yet a battery backup UPS system to the tv and any other sensitive electronics, such as http://amzn.to/1QIDsxl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://amzn.to/1QIDsxl what is this site,? I do have ups on the computer and a range of frequently used battery's and inverters around the house. And with surge protection my Acoustic solutions 42" plasma has worked well for 9 years . I thought that the LG was LED not plasma.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
That is a link that I sent to a UPS system, as a suggestion to further protect the tv.The model number you provided is for a 2010 model lg plasma.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this, Donald?