Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Anthony, I have a gifted Hitachi 50HYT62UC and it is just

Customer Question

Hi Anthony, I have a gifted Hitachi 50HYT62UC and it is just showing coloured stripes. Is this a return to Hitachi or is there a possible firmware update I can do to repair. If it is fixable, more than happy to pay for the advice.ThanksNick
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Nick. Does this happen on all inputs/sources, and also affect the menu (if you can see the picture at all)?Do you still get sound?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Says Hitachi TV and then goes to the vertical lines on all inputs. No sounds occur on startup.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. There is no firmware that would fix this. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250-300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a tv of this size however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 . Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Did you need more help with this, Nick?