Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My sharp home cinema DVD player keeps switching to timer mode.

Customer Question

My sharp home cinema DVD player keeps switching to timer mode. Have tried the factory reset but it goes back to timer when I try and use it. Model is HT-DV40H
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me how long you've owned the Sharp for and when the problem occurred? Also, when you say "Timer Mode" are you saying the receiver will be playing normally and then switches itself to standby?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have had the system for about six or seven years but only used about a dozen times. Moved house about a year ago only had the player connected under the TV. Hadn't bothered to connect the speakers. It was only a couple of months ago I noticed the red timer light flashing, and it has a sequence of flashing. Two flashes then a pause then a longer flash then four quick flashes. Then it keeps repeating that sequence. Have just done the factory reset and the screen said hello and is now scrolling various things like usb high power surround etc. Just pressed the dvd button on the remote and power on came on the display then it clicked to the timer red light and it wont accept a disc. Display is empty. Does not go from playing to standby.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. These symptoms would indicate a processor lockup (glitch) or a hardware failure in the system. In many cases components such as capacitors, or a regulator IC have gone out of spec and cause these symptoms. However it would be worth trying a hard reset to see if this helps. Please disconnect the unit from power, then press and hold the power button on the system itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Wait a minute, then press and hold the power button while plugging the unit back in. Hold the power button for another 5 seconds or so and release. See if the unit will power up normally and let me know what happens please. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No didn't work. Display reads power on, then dvd/cd, then a second later screen blank, then a click and the red timer light comes on. Can't insert a disc at all
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but unfortunately there's nothing else on a user level you can try, as these symptoms indicate a hardware failure in the system. There's no resets or adjustments that will fix this and it requires service. This type of repair o a 6-7 year old Sharp shelf system is generally not cost effective (about 2/3 of what a new system would cost). I'm sorry for the bad news ere and wish there were a quick fix.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that was a waste of £20
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what else to tell you, we cant fix something that's broken over the computer unless you have a multi-meter and soldering experience. Let me know what your experience repairing electronics is and I can see if there's a service manual available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No experience on electronics. Can sort of solder and have a multimeter. Might as well have a try at fixing it if the only alterative is to take it to the skip.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. You would want to inspect all capacitors on the main circuit board for signs of swelling, or electrolytic capacitors leaking. The most likely cause would be the large 680 µ F,250V,Electrolytic, as well as the (4) 470 µ F,10V,Electrolytic. However if you don't see obvious signs of capacitors failure, then an in-circuit capacitance meter would be needed to test these to make sure they're in spec. Another alternative is to simply replace them all. It is possible there's a cold solder joint causing this problem, and perhaps before replacing any parts, use a heat gun to heat up the bottom of the PCB using high heat about 10" away from the PCB and go over it several times, plug the system in and see if it will fire up.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Additionally a basic service manual is at the link below which shows an exploded view, and how to access the various components in the system: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/515664/Sharp-Ht-Dv50u.html?page=5#manual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Will try over next few days or so.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and best of luck!