Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

The channel that you're currently watching doesn't sup

"the channel that you're currently watching doesn't support this function". This is the message I get when trying to enable digital text on my Samsung Smart Tv, in spite of doing a complete reset. The digital text function has been enabled in the menu.
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome I will need the full model number found on the back of the set please? Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model code: UE48H6400AKXXU
Version No: 02
S/N: ZCGV3SDG500568R
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the source/content you are using here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean "What is the source/content". It's quite straightforward, as I said the Samsung TV does not receive digital text. What more can I tell you?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
As I asked, I need to know what source/input/content you are using the tv with when you get this message. A sky box? Aerial? Bluray? Apps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I have an aerial.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming.Test on other channels for confirmation, but if using an aerial via the internal tuner, the message would indicate exactly what it is saying, that literally the captions are not available because that feature isn't supported or broadcast by that particular station, or not encoded in a format that the tv can decode.Note that there may be an analog caption/subtitle encoded though which is different than teletext or video text features, so you may just need to experiment with that function, or even the SAP function to get the desired results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a DVD recorder connected to AV, which gives perfect text - BBC red button, news headlines, indeed all digital text services. Only when I try and access text directly with the Samsung TV do I get this unavailable message.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Well watching it through a separate device (such as a set top box, or in your case the recorder) would be the advised workaround for this.It is not necessarily that the content isn't broadcast, but that the tv is not able to decode all signals/formats. Attempting to update the tv firmware would be a possible resolution as well, prior to utilizing the recorder as a tuner instead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I already do use the DVD machine but it doesn't really answer the question as to what's wrong with the TV. If by "firmware" you're referring to the software update, I already did that and no update is available - current version 2800.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is exactly what I was referring to. I realize it does not solve the issue, though a future update may do so.There is no setting or anything else, and at this point it is simply a matter of the tv being unable to decode the signal for that particular channel.The last thing you could try is to do a retune (channel scan) from the tv menu. If that still fails, there is nothing else that can be done for it other than to continue the workaround connection, or to wait on a future update that may address hte problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that, several times.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trying. As I mentioned, this then comes down to a tv limitation at this point, and there is nothing more you can do on your end, other than a workaround device or to wait on a future update from samsung that may address the issue.
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just discovered that if I'm tuned to a BBC radio channel (701, 703, etc), I CAN get text, but still not on TV channels.