Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

KevinWhiteJA,Iám Ronald, and have a problem with a Pioneer PDP-LX50

Hi KevinWhiteJA,
Iám Ronald, and have a problem with a Pioneer PDP-LX5090.
It suddenly stops working, no LED's are on. (bleu and red are off)
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Ronald. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. While I recognize that this was an expensive tv when new, it is now past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors. If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure. This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400-500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Pioneer plasmas are considered some of the most complicated tvs made, and many professional techs won't even work on them. For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
Thanks for your quick response on this issue, I also had expected it has to do with the age of the tv.
First of all I'll try to do the possible fix you suggest, if it doesn't make any sens I will tried to fix the internal hardware problem depend on the cost I have to make.
I have the experties on electronics repairs, my daily work is to repair powerstage valve amplifiers and synthesizers and have all the tools need for repair.
Do you have a diagram of the powersupply and control part you can send me by e-mail so I can make some measurements?
Thanks in advance,
Ronald
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ronald. If you aren't getting any lights coming on at all (standby) then the issue is almost certainly the power board which would be replaced, these generally aren't repaired at the component level.I can help you with parts, but schematics diagrams for these are not intended to be made available outside their service network. These sets are tricky to work on as well, there are trap switches for example that if you don't handle them properly the tv won't work even with the boards replaced. Do not open the tv with power connected and do not reconnect until you have the switch taped down. As an initial check though you can test PS board output anyway, the expected voltages are indicated right at the pinouts there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
I understand about the schematics, but can you tell me where I can buy/order the powersupply PCB and mainpower switch?
The mainpower switch doesn't have a solid click when I switch the power On/Off. (Perhaps they use a solid state circuit?)
Ronald
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.
The part number is ***** I am not able to find it anywhere currently available for sale, though that is typical for tvs this age as they start to fail and demand exceeds the supply. I'd recommend setting up an ebay search alert for it. Did you check the fuse on the PS board yet?
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nathan
I have just tried the suggestion you have gave me about reset procedure, and guest what.... the tv pops up and till now it works fine again.
Many thanks for the help and support you have gave me to solve this problem.Kind regards,
Ronald
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
You're very welcome, Ronald.