info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder - I tried to record but keep

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder - I tried to record but keep getting U81 or U80. I pressed the ON/Off on the recorder, then pressed again. It records for a few minutes, then goes to U81 again. Previously I couldn't get the GUIDE to work. My son reset the machine and the Guide works now but the U81 message keeps coming on. I've tried using different discs but the same thing happens. HELP!
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcomeSorry you are having frustrating trouble with thisU80,U81,U60,U61 are problematic with these machines have you re-booted the unit?unplugged from the wall wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again?if not please do that and get back to me with the results Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right! I just unplugged the machine for 5 minutes, re-plugged it and have programmed something. I'll get back to you whether it worked or not. Thanks, ***** ***** why didn't the manual tell me to unplug etc?
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Manuals do not say everything Let me know if I can do anything else Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** be a rating bar of stars usually at the top of the page with this post, note the question remains open ALWAYS Many Thanks Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - couldn't get to the rating bit earlier. Problems with website?
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
There may be , couldn't you see the rating bar? Please remember though to bookmark this page you can come back here anytime if you have any more issues Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't worked - showing U81 again. Will try again tomorrow.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
No please wait be 2m ins
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK the issue is a communication issue usually because the firmware is going bad (that is why you had another problem) http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dvd/download/ez49v/uk.html <<<click You may need to upgrade the firmware to cure this, just to add we have had bad capacitors inside the unit causing the same thing but the firmware is the most common cause Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't try over weekend. Will try again today.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried again - still U81 when I switched from TV to DVD. Tried to record using Guide but didn't work still. I thought firmware was software, but apparently not. As I am an old lady, I don't want to mess up the machine completely trying to download firmware, so I'll have to use the Panasonic just to play recorded discs and not try to record anything. I'll think about getting a cheaper DVD recorder next time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to bookmark either!
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Oh I am sorry about that yes you do need to be computer literate to do these tasks its almost certain to be glichy firmware there are other things that can cause U errors too but I find firmware is the most common, you could ring around local repairers may be cheaper its easy enough for someone who knows Anthony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help anyway.
Expert:  info tech replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome If you need anything else let me know Anthony