Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I recently bought a Sony KD-49X8305C and a Monitor ASB-2 soundbar

Customer Question

I recently bought a Sony KD-49X8305C and a Monitor ASB-2 soundbar and am having unusual problems with the sound. For some reason the sound works fine on standard channels but I get nothing when viewing HD channels through the TV's tuner. Also, when watching Netflix, I have to change the audi from English 5.1 to English at the beginning of every show I watch to get any sound. There is also no sound when watching apps like iPlayer etc directly through the TV but they are fine when I watch them through my PS4. The soundbar is connected to the TV from the HDMI4 (ARC) port of the TV and HDMI 4 on the soundbar as advised in the soundbar's manual.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Unfortunately there's no settings/adjustments that will correct the problem you're having with the ARC audio decoding that's occurring between the Sony and the Monitor, it is inherent with many different systems. What I would try as a workaround, to see if you still have no sound with certain channels/Apps is to connect and Optical cable- and remove the ARC connection. Since the soundbar only has a total of (2) 5" woofers, (2) 4" midbasses, and (2) 1" tweeters- you're not getting uncompressed 7.1 channels anyhow. That is the only benefit of using ARC over Optical, and you're not gaining those discreet channels with ARC, so the Optical will not yield any losses in the sound. Please try that and let me know if you still have the same issues with the sound. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks mate, I've ordered an optical cable to be delivered tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome and that sounds good!