Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My elderly friend has just moved house and I tried to tune

My elderly friend has just moved house and I tried to tune her TV for her. Initially it tuned into 65 digital channels but none of the usual BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 etc. The first numerical that listed was 11, Pick. On subsequent autotunes to try and find the missing channels, some previous downloaded channels vanished and I ended up with about 30 that were viewable. The programme guide only listed channels that were viewable and attempting to view a channel by entry of a number (eg 2 for BBC2 etc) gives a black screen and "channel not found" message.
Does this mean that the TV tuner is dying? The unit is old and has never been subjected to a house move before.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand is there any chance you can get me the model number or at least the brand of the TV? Additionally, are you certain those channels that did not tune are available from the aerial where she moved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Sony but no idea of model. The aerial is fine according to a neighbour upstairs who shares the aerial. The fact that programmes are disappearing each time a retune is done makes me suspect the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I just read again and caught that it's losing channels each tune. I would suggest before giving up on the set- trying a hard reset of the TV. To do this, disconnect the set from power and remove the aerial connection from the back. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Then wait a minute and reconnect the aerial to the set, plug it in and turn it back on to try another tuning.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If the issue persists, it would indicate the tuner module on the TV's mainboard is at fault, and would require replacement of that board. Given the set is older, however, it will likely be near impossible to find the mainboard available for this set. Alternatively, it is generally more cost effective to to replace versus repair, when these older sets encounter issues. For example, a new LED set of comparable size will likely cost 1/2- 1/3 of what this TV cost when new. Other than the reset above, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that later, thank you. If that doesn't work, am I to assume it has reached the end of its useful life and suggest she invest in a new one?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, and yes- that's actually what I had posted just above your last reply. Please scroll up the page a bit to read the rest of that reply.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just read it, thank you. Most helpful, I shall rate you accordingly.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome, and I appreciate the rating- thank you.