Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I've just bought a new 55" Panasonic 55cx700 series tv, I'm

Customer Question

I've just bought a new 55" Panasonic 55cx700 series tv, I'm now trying to connect it to my fairly aged but still working home theatre system however the tv doesn't seem to recognise it in any way and I have tried several methods of connection.
I've consulted the ehelp function on the tv and it suggests there is a speaker selection option in settings/menu but there absolutely isn't.
The tv is connected to the Internet and system is up to date, really stumped
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the make/model of your theater system?What specific connection method have you used?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the theatre system is a phillips, its really old +10 years so only really has scart or RCA connections.
The methods of connection I have tried are tv - TS via scart but I think the scart on the tv is input only not output, I tried TV to TS via RCA and that seems to be the same, I have also tried using the optical output from the tv via a optical to RCA conversion box which also doesn't seem to work.
I think the key reason why I'm getting no output from the TV to the TS is because its supposed to be told to output sound to a TS in the onboard digital menu on the TV but there is no option to do so even though the manual says there is.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the info, Mark, and my apologies for missing you earlier (I'm in the US, on a much different time zone). The issue here is that your new tv is not going to support any type of analog connections, only digital (hdmi and fiber optic).The conversion box is the proper solution here, but you may need to change some settings on the tv, namely that you need to set the tv audio output format to pcm/stereo/bitstream, rather than dolby/digital/auto. With that in place (may need to update the same setting on your sky/cable box, dvd player, etc) sound should work.If not, let me know and I'll recommend another converter.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried changing it to PCM but it didn't seem to do anything, there's light coming from the optical cable so it seems to be getting as far as the conversion box I bought recently but nothing after that.
This is the conversion box I got:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KNNSKV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1It has a headphone jack which I tried as well and no sound is coming out of that either but the headphone jack on the tv is working
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
The optical light being on indicates signal is present, but not necessarily in a format that the converter is able to utilize. That converter should be fine, but again some of this depends on tv settings.Go into the Viera menu on the tv and look for audio there and set it to theater/external (tv speakers off).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
that's the thing the tv settings only show a few options regards ***** ***** relating to the sound presets of the tv itself.
Theres nothing in there at all that suggests I can select a home theatre system, there's a sound output option and gives a drop down where I can choose; tv speakers, headphones or off or an option on the digital output which is set to either auto or PCM.
That's it.
the ehelp menu suggests there is an option to select home theatre in there but it definitely isn't anywhere in there so I think that maybe the digital menu has been updated since the ehelp menu or maybe its just generic and doesn't apply to my tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Have you updated the tv firmware?What sources/inputs are you trying to use with the tv?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
THe tv software is up to date and the connections are as follows; tv to sky box via hdmi, sky box to TS via scart and optical output on tv to TS via converter box as described previously.
I've tried every combination of tv settings in the digital menu to get an output.
I mentioned in the previous post that the conversion box had a phone jack for headphones which isn't getting any output from the tv either, this leads me to think either the box is defective or no output is being transmitted from the tv on this output.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
It is possible the box is defective, as a test, try running optical from the sky box to the converter, and as a workaround you may be able to just do red/white from sky box to the TS as well. Of course this gets you tv shows only and not apps, but it is at least a step in the right direction.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Rca from sky box to TS works but tv optical out/optical cable/conversion box/rca cables/TS doesn't work so it's either the optical cable, the conversion box or the tv.
I have an optical connection on my pc to its sound system, I'll try that out to further isolate the issue an prove whether it's the box or the cable, if they're both fine then it can only be the tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Yes I agree, let me know what happens.