Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I've got a brand new kd49x8305c Sony Bravia TV. I have

Hi. I've got a brand new kd49x8305c Sony Bravia TV. I have freeview coming into my flat through a satellite-style cable, and my old Panasonic TV autotunes to detect the channels instantly, but this one just can't seem to find any services no matter what I do. I'm rather at my wits end. Can anyone help?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, John. Are you actually using a satellite dish, or just an aerial?You are using the coax connection, correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Nathan. It's a screw-in connector with a wire in the middle (not an old-fashioned coax?)- it fits either into the 'main' or 'sub' satellite port on the tv- it's currently in 'main'.
I don't know whats on the other end- just that my panasonic tv instantly finds freeview with its digital autotune function.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Yes, that is a coax connection. Do you pay for your channels? Is it a shared (building) connection?What I"m getting at is are you just pulling in Free View channels (aerial) or Free Sat (via an actual satellite dish). Lets assume for a moment that it is satellite - the tv must be configured for the YouView functionality (meaning set up the wifi connection and smart features), and then that would allow the freesat tuner to work and hopefully pick up channels at that point.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't pay for anything- unless its covered by the ground charge in my rent. I don't think I had to set up youview before on my panasonic, but I can an see option for that on my home screen on the Sony. Shall we give it a go?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
The panasonic works differently, it is just that on this particular sony, the satellite functions are restricted unless the youview is configured first.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
So yes, please go through that setup process.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay so it says welcome to youview, then I say next, and accept terms, and it asks for my postcode which I marginally prefer not to (does that matter?), then it asks if I want to start auto tuning, I say yes, it asks antenna or cable- what do I say?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
It matters to get proper programming and guide data.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
So enter the post code (or at least one nearby), then choose antenna
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay I swallowed my paranoia! It asks if I want to start autotuning, I say yes, antenna.....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No services found. Hmm.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Okay try it again but under cable mode this time.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. Scan type quick, frequency auto, Network ID auto....
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Slow going (maybe 25%) but no services found yet...
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Okay, let it finish and we'll take it from there.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Agh. "No services have been found". What now?
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Okay so just to confirm, you've used the panasonic on this exact same cord or wall jack that you're trying with the sony, right?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's right.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Okay just wanting to make sure you were able to confirm that this cord is functional with the other set.Just because you have multiple ports in the flat does not mean they all have signal. Is there any way for you to contact the building management to find out where that cable comes from?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I'm sure I can ask someone next week. Is there anything else worth trying in the meanwhile? I can't really see anything else I can try/change. I'm really wondering if the tuner is faulty.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
That is a distinct possibility.Really the only other is if it is a cable signal and this tv just doesn't have the proper decoder for that function, which your old one may (it could have a special cable card, for example). Do you perhaps have a separate aerial you could connect to it, just to test if it can pick up any local stations at least that way? Also, it wouldn't hurt to try running the scan again when connected to the sub coax connection.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just tried the sub socket but it didn't help.I don't have another aerial. If I did should I plug it into the old-fashioned coax socket?I think maybe ***** ***** will be swapping this out for me!
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Yes if you were to test an aerial you'd plug it to the coax socket (the 1st one).It would also be a good idea to go into the sony settings menu and run the Software (firmware) update function, just to be safe. test if you can, if not, or if no results, then yes an exchange would be in order as the next step, as that would indicate a tuner fault.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay. I've updated the firmware again (I got an update on my thumb drive yesterday) and that doesn't help. I don't have an aerial but I've tried paperclip/finger (!) without results. Do you think it's worth trying to get an exchange today, or should I wait to speak to my building? I'm just wondering how likely it is that my old panasonic had a decoder that this model doesn't.
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
I would probably go ahead and just try to exchange it.It really wouldn't make a difference anyway. Lets say it does turn out to be encrypted cable, then you'd have to get a box from the building. So you may be better served by a different/new model tv anyway.Perhaps take it back to the store, they'd have an aerial there to test it with to prove if it works or not, and exchange it if not.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks a lot Nathan. All good advice. Cheers, John
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
You're welcome, John, and best of luck to you! Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.