adamd-mod
adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I have inserted the wifi dongle into my to but it still says

Customer Question

I have inserted the wifi dongle into my to but it still says no internet access
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

What type of wifi dongle are you using?

What device have you connected the wifi dongle to?

Are you trying to use it for the first time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes it's the first time. TV is a Polaroid 3-42-led-14 and the dongle came with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats fine��
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The problem may be with the wireless network you are trying to connect to - what type of router are you using?

How far away is it from the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a sky hub. It's in the next room. I do have phone line port behind my to but couldn't get the sky hub to work from there...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The problem may be with the security settings on the Sky hub -

could you try either connecting the TV to a neighbour's wifi or move the TV to another location to test it and confirm it can connect to a wifi network elsewhere ok?

Once this is confirmed, we can troubleshoot the Sky hub - it will likely require changing the security settings to a compatible setting.

Alternatively, you could use powerline adapters to connect the TV to the internet:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1397640.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I permitted to go away, look into that and then look again at trouble shooting the sky hub before ending the chat? It could be tomorrow....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've decided I want this sitting as soon as possible so I've moved the tv next to the wifi hub.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no antannae in here though, will that be a problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's saying no digital tv signal available. Help!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can reply back here at any time after rating my service, and we can continue for no extra charge :)

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a small indoor antenna you could use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No....I just moved. Is there another way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just moved house I mean.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Has the TV already been set up and tuned in, or is it brand new?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new tv but I've been here a few week, watched the terrestrial channels with no probs.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does the remote have a YouTube, Netflix or similar internet buttons?

What happens if you try them now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Netflix does nothing....you tube and smart buttons say no internet access, check settings
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you already tried to set up the TV with your internet settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the other room but I got the same error. Inserted dongle, can't seem to pick up the wifi in either room!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried restarting your Sky router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same no internet message.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you let me know what settings you are using for IP address, subnet mask, and gateway?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On tv settings it says configuration status- not connected. There is a dash next to IP address
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You'll have to direct me where to look for the other things...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is it an option to see if a neighbour or friend would let you connect to their wifi using the TV first, it just rules out a compatibility issue with the router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean taking the tv to someone's house? That's not really an option, no. I've just moved here, is there something else we could try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm putting the to back into the other room as it's been nearly an hour since my last message..
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A family friend came this morning and sorted the issue. I no longer need an answer but am concerned that I paid £24 and the person responding just ended up ignoring me and not communicating with me that he wasn't helping anymore! I'm not particularly happy and don't feel I got anything for my money....can you assist me at all please?