adamd-mod
adamd-mod, Just Answer Moderator
Experience:  Just Answer Moderator
74353250

I have inserted the wifi dongle into my to but it still says

Customer Question

I have inserted the wifi dongle into my to but it still says no internet access
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

What type of wifi dongle are you using?

What device have you connected the wifi dongle to?

Are you trying to use it for the first time?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok yes it's the first time. TV is a Polaroid 3-42-led-14 and the dongle came with it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Yes, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thats fine��
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

The problem may be with the wireless network you are trying to connect to - what type of router are you using?

How far away is it from the TV?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a sky hub. It's in the next room. I do have phone line port behind my to but couldn't get the sky hub to work from there...
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

The problem may be with the security settings on the Sky hub -

could you try either connecting the TV to a neighbour's wifi or move the TV to another location to test it and confirm it can connect to a wifi network elsewhere ok?

Once this is confirmed, we can troubleshoot the Sky hub - it will likely require changing the security settings to a compatible setting.

Alternatively, you could use powerline adapters to connect the TV to the internet:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1397640.htm

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am I permitted to go away, look into that and then look again at trouble shooting the sky hub before ending the chat? It could be tomorrow....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've decided I want this sitting as soon as possible so I've moved the tv next to the wifi hub.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There's no antannae in here though, will that be a problem?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's saying no digital tv signal available. Help!
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Yes, you can reply back here at any time after rating my service, and we can continue for no extra charge :)

Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a small indoor antenna you could use?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No....I just moved. Is there another way.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just moved house I mean.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Has the TV already been set up and tuned in, or is it brand new?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a new tv but I've been here a few week, watched the terrestrial channels with no probs.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Does the remote have a YouTube, Netflix or similar internet buttons?

What happens if you try them now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Netflix does nothing....you tube and smart buttons say no internet access, check settings
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Have you already tried to set up the TV with your internet settings?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In the other room but I got the same error. Inserted dongle, can't seem to pick up the wifi in either room!
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Have you tried restarting your Sky router?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
same no internet message.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Ok, can you let me know what settings you are using for IP address, subnet mask, and gateway?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On tv settings it says configuration status- not connected. There is a dash next to IP address
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You'll have to direct me where to look for the other things...
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Is it an option to see if a neighbour or friend would let you connect to their wifi using the TV first, it just rules out a compatibility issue with the router?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does this mean taking the tv to someone's house? That's not really an option, no. I've just moved here, is there something else we could try?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm putting the to back into the other room as it's been nearly an hour since my last message..
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 6 months ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A family friend came this morning and sorted the issue. I no longer need an answer but am concerned that I paid £24 and the person responding just ended up ignoring me and not communicating with me that he wasn't helping anymore! I'm not particularly happy and don't feel I got anything for my money....can you assist me at all please?