Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Grundig GU22WDV10 television about 5 years old and

Customer Question

hello I have a Grundig GU22WDV10 television about 5 years old and I want to use headphones on it.
I have connected the wired phones to the headphone output jack on the LH side and set the tv menu to headphones on and swithed off s/pdip. But still no sound - o you have to change any analogue settings ? as these are not clear in the instruction book
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What source/inputs are you using with the tv (aerial, cable/satellite box, etc)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Nathan it is connected to a normal tv arial
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Nathan are you there ?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Yes I'm here, sorry I missed you, I'm in the US on a much different time zone.

Can you recheck the tv model number, it doesn't look quite right.
Also, are you able to test those headphones on some other device so we can confirm they are functional?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I missed a digit - should be GU22WDVD10.
The headphones are brand new and I have also tried another set ( also brand new) and a bluetooth transmitter and wireless phones - none work - either the tv is faulty or more likely it is the settings for digital or analogue or both - as i said the analogue instructions are confusing in the instruction book
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

The analog/digital setting is in relation to captioning and teletext functions, not to the headphone usage.
The things to check in the menu are that you want audio format on pcm/stereo (not dolby, digital, etc).

Beyond that, the most likely issue is that the tv is actually fault, especially on a set of this brand/age.

I'm still having trouble finding any specifics on this model, but are you positive you're actually using the headphone jack, it is possible that port is an input. Unless it is labeled as headphone, or with a headphone icon, it may be for a pc audio input.

There may be some other options here though, do you have a Digital Audio Out port on the back, labeled as such, or as optical (square port with a red light inside) or coaxial (orange/black rca port)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do i check in the menu that i want audio format ? the port i am using is definitely a headphone port - there is a separate pair of audio input sockets
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is also on the back of the set a S/PDIFoutput digital audio socket , but this is switched off in the menu - I have no idea what this is
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

That menu option for pcm may not even be available in your menu, it depends on the tv firmware. If it is not showing, then it is automatic and you don't have to worry about it.

Since HP isn't working, you'd turn spdif back on, and connect a small converter box: http://amzn.to/1swhpmB
to which you can then hook up your wireless transmitter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay - I will just recheck the settings and ports again this afternoon and get back to you before getting the s/dif converter thanks for the advice so far
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Nathan = sorry for delay in response - I checked just about everything i could find in the menu but still no headphone response. Have just received the dongle that you recommened from Amazon and. will set up later today. Unfortunately I am bedridden with a bit of cancer at the moment and the TV is out of reach , so I have to get someone else to do the plugging an unplugging ! regds
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi NathanThe cable on the Prozor has horseshoe shape plugs both ends , but my spdif socket on the TV is a 3.5mm jack plug = same as the headphones. where can I get a suitable cable ? I hope we are nearly there !
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found an adaptor on amazon to convert from optic horseshoe type plug to push in , but this does not work either - it is a very tight fit pushing it in to the spdif socket . The Prozor power light is on , SPDIF is on in the tv menu and headphone s also switcthed off in the sound menu on the tv. could it be a faulty adaptor ? I have tested the phones with my laptop and they work fine This is the adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003PU2Z1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hope you can advise something so simple is not workable
Tks
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

The optical port can only fit 1 way.

It is possible you got a faulty adapter, they are pretty much all low quality import products.

Check that you see a red light coming out of the tv port or other end of the cord before it goes into the adapter.

next, go into the tv setup menu and look for audio options, and for a setting to choose pcm/stereo (rather than dolby/digital).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK tks I will let you know
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have now had a chance to check - there is no light in the spdif socket - The sound is set to stereo , spdif is switched on , headphone switched off - any other ideas ?Thanks
Dick
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

So long as it is optical and not a coaxial port, you should see that red light coming out the back of the tvs optical port. If not, then it isn't outputting anything and won't work.

Go into the tv setup and try turning off the internal speakers to see if that will turn it on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well , I think I shall abandon this - can;t helping feeling it is something to do with the menu/settings , but with no signal via the heaphone jack and none via spid , I will have to live with jt not working everything else is fine and it has always behave itself
just about to get an LG 49 in 4k smart tv , so hope I can run headphones independantly off it since my hearing is not as good as my wife's.
Thanks for you advice
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If you update to a new tv, you'll need the converter with it as well, so hold on to that for future use, same as we tried to do on the grundig.