Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Panasonic tx-l42ft608, a few months ago Netflix stopped

Panasonic tx-l42ft608, a few months ago Netflix stopped loading. I have searched the Internet for advice, but can find nothing. I can't uninstall the app. When I launch the app I get the initial red Netflix screen, but that's it. After a while I get a message to say it failed to load and that's about it.
Strange thing is, my brothers Panasonic did exactly the same thing at the same time. It seems strange that no one else has experienced the same problem.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you able to get any other apps to work currently?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nathan,
Yes all other apps launch successfully although we don't really use any of them. I have tried a number of things. When the error message appears you can look for additional information. This allows you to check network status, which is all ok. You can also log out of your account, but this does not work. Basically it looks like it is just hung. I have tried all the up,up,up,up, down, left right.... Pattern that people suggested, but they do.t work.
I have tried a network cable just in case wireless was an issue, but no joy.
I have reset the tv, or at least chosen that option, which was very quick, but I am not convinced it touched the apps.
So, I have tried a few things, but so far, nothing.
Thanks,
Mark
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, Mark.

This is actually a firmware issue, the netflix service is no longer compatible with the current firmware your tv is running (and many other panasonic models).

For this to be resolved, panasonic has to release an update/patch for it, which is not yet available. It is difficult to say when (or even if) that will ever come. For a 2012 model, it is nearly at the end of its service life and I would not expect much support for it at this point. For now, it is just a waiting game, the system should detect updates automatically, but you can check from the menu occasionally as well.

Beyond waiting, there is really nothing else you can do except to switch over to an external streaming device such as a Fire tv: http://amzn.to/1YbkrXb

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nathan,
Thanks for the reply. Thought it must be something along those lines. But I also thought that a factory reset would potentily have reset the firmware version? Obviously.not. But I take it the 're is no hard rest rather than the menu soft reset?Find it hard to believe that Panasonic would send an update out for a tv knowing that it would leave owners without a service which was one of the selling points for the box in the first place, and then for them to do nothing about it. I have not had the tv for much more than 2 years, so it is very disappointing. But if there is nothing that can be done I suppose what can I do. It's just hard to accept. But then again, it is only a tv so it's not the end of the world.So I suppose my only hope is for a software update or alternatively some way of completely resetting it. Is a reset possible?Sorry for further questions but hopefully this will be the last you hear from me! Thanks for your help.
Mark
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi Mark,

To clarify, this is not an update that panasonic sent that removed a feature.
What happens is that changes are made to the server environment on the provider end (netflix) which causes the app to no longer work.

That app is specially published by panasonic for your specific model, so it is their responsibility to maintain it.

I'm not sure when you bought the tv, but it is a 2012 model, and these tvs have an expected service life of about 5 years, and firmware support is often discontinued after about 3 years. This is the case with most all tv manufacturers, and why I personally recommend against a smart tv purchase, because you can get more and better features and performance out of a regular tv with the addition of a roku, fire tv, etc.

So it is not that panasonic took anything away, but it would require a future update from them to fix this. No reset or anything else will affect it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification. We bought the tv about 2-3 years ago. We bought it more for the free Sat element rather than the smart side. But I agree with you. We have a chromecast for our other tv so might look at something like that for the other one. We do.t watch a huge amount of tv, but the kids liked Netflix for some things so it was very handy and just disappointing that it's not there anymore.
Thanks again for your help. It's good to at least get an answer.
Mark
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome, Mark. And I'm sorry to be discouraging, it may very well come back at some point, I just wouldn't count on it. If you have the ability to use another device, that is the best short term option.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.