Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a sony bravia KDL 55x4500 and have been having a

Customer Question

I have a sony bravia KDL 55x4500 and have been having a picture problem for some months. I love the tv and don't want to change it if poss. The problem at the start, was an intermittent one, but now the problem is constant. The screen shows 'tinsel-like' lines running top to bottom, all the way across the screen, and can change in colour from the silver, to green or red. At first these lines would occur and then disappear, back to a perfect picture, but now they spoil the picture constantly. Initially the lines seemed to be moving left to right also, but now that seems to have stopped. It does not appear to be an aerial problem as it happens when dvds are playing, and adverse weather doesn't seem to affect it. Sometimes the vertical lines seem to splay out, rather like oil, when they reach e.g.an actors face on screen. Do you have any advice please. Thank you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does this happen on all sources/inputs, or only on dvd?
Do the lines affect the sony menu screens also?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I only have a dvd, and yes the lines are on the 'guide' channel lists.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the lines are much fainter, but they are there
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for checking,

by guide, I assume you mean the guide for the freeview/aerial channels, correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for being such a 'dummy' ! When I press GUIDE button on remote all the tv channels are listed on a black screen from 001 through about 200 channels.....I'm in UK, BBC is 101, ITV 103 etc.
The black screen has signs of the 'silver stripes' but not massively.
Thank you Nathan for being patient with a 70yr old lady !
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the info.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; the tv is at/past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you for that information Nathan, I shall try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know the outcome.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, Caroline.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello again, Nathan, I'm back home now after a day away and tried your recommendations. Unfortunately, the picture now is much worse. Not only are the stringy vertical stripes still there, but the picture is breaking up in bands going across the screen which didn't happen before. I hope I followed your instructions correctly, the only possible misunderstanding was that when the set was replugged in after a minute, I switched the power on at the plug end (which had been off during the minute's wait). Was that correct? Thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trying, Caroline.

I'm sorry to hear that did not help.

You did follow the process correctly, but even if you had not, this isn't something that you caused, though it does confirm a hardware failure, and at this point replacing the tv really is your best option.

If looking to replace, I'd recommend a Panasonic, LG, or Samsung model.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Nathan.
Of the 3 brands/models you mention, which 4k full HD would you lean towards, for a large 50" screen?
and why?
Caroline
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Well you have a 55" currently, would you want to stick with that, or change to 50"?
Costs will increase, up to double, for 4k. So if you want the latest technology and picture quality, replacement will no longer be comparable to repair costs, though I'd still lean toward replacement.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the 50" considerably cheaper? Which best brand?
Repair worries me because Sony just told me to seek authorised repairer, but they couldn't recommend one, and when
I found one after great difficulty, and told of my problem they didn't want to know. Apart from Sony repairers what
type of specialist could do the job, if I look on the internet?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Any tv repair shop could do the job, the problem is that there is not a straightforward diagnostic for it. They have to install the most likely board and hope it works, if not, then they do another, and if that still doesn't help it is because the screen itself is faulty and that is not even possible to fix, so you could be out a lot of money on repairs only to find out it can't be resolved.

There is a cost difference for a 50".

Here are 2 models I'd recommend: http://amzn.to/28Jv3d7 (available in 50 and 55)

and http://amzn.to/28JxdOC

Both are comparable in terms of features

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello again Nathan, thank you for your valued advice,...just before I click the 'buy' on a new tv, can I be certain that the fault
couldn't possibly lie outside of the tv with a faulty cable, or aerial? The lines do still appear when playing a video. Last question on the topic I promise!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome.

Yes, if it happens on multiple devices (aerial/cable, dvd, etc) as well as the tvs own menu screens, that is your assurance that it is an internal fault.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much Nathan, a new one it is !
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

You're very welcome, and with that said, you may still want to try selling the tv, even in its current condition you may find someone online (local classified ads or ebay) that would be willing to pay $50-100 for it, as there are many people who like to repair these as a hobby and are willing to invest the time and parts to get it working. That could at least give you a little bit to put toward a new one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello again Nathan, regarding my ongoing saga, !! I'm afraid I haven't had the heart to part with the TV yet, it's the first item of sheer quality I've ever had, despite its intermittent fault. I just wanted to ask one last thing if I may. The superb picture comes back for much longer periods now, and I need to know, with the fault you've described, could this good/bad picture quality go on forever, or, will something eventually go 'puff' and stop working? Very grateful for your opinion.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the update, and I"m glad it has shown some improvement.

I would expect it to gradually get worse over time, but if you can tolerate the intermittent fault, it certainly doesn't hurt to hold on to it for awhile. At the very least, it could give you some time to shop for a new one you like or wait for one to go on sale.