Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Licensed TV repair technician in the US with over 30 experience in the US.
59014109

I have a Panasonic TH-37PX60B plasma TV. Has always worked

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic TH-37PX60B plasma TV. Has always worked well until about a month ago when the BBC channels started to suffer from a bad signal. The other TV's in the house, sharing the same aerial are fine. When I retune it is 50/50 whether it picks-up BBC at all. I have changed the coaxial input lead to no benefit. Can you tell me what is wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

HI Richard,

My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. My first thoughts are that maybe the tuner in the tv is faulty, they are normally integrated into the main board so you would need to replace the mainbaord.

Have you tried swapping the tv to another room in the house to see if it works fine elsewhere?

Do you know how the tvs are connected to the aerial do you have a masthead amplifier or a spiltter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Carl. Sorry for slow response. I have swopped TV's as you describe (very good idea) and BBC reception is perfect.....so I assume it is something to do with the aerial connection. There is a combined amplifier/splitter in the attic where the cable comes in from the chimney. I had to get the aerial changed a few years ago (blew down) and I remember the man say that the signal was too strong (?) and that he had switched off the amplifier. His actions were a few ago so I assume not connected to poor BBC reception in just one room over the last month? I should also add that in swapping the TV around, I noticed that the Panasonic is also selective in what it displays on the freeview listings screen.....there are blanks in many of the time slots. Is this related?
Expert:  carlday1 replied 12 months ago.

Hi Richard,

I think it would be worth if possible looking at the splitter in the loft. it could be just one of the outputs as failed or maybe has a bad connection. Depending on the type of splitter it is you may find that the cables screw in using F connectors if that is the case it would be easy to change the splitter.

It could be the cable from the loft to the tv but I would start with the splitter.

The blank spots in the guide are likely to be unrelated and it is just taking a while to update.