Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My Panasonic Viera 50" is reluctant to turn on. I turn it on

My Panasonic Viera 50" is reluctant to turn on. I turn it on at the set, but after that for an hour or so it blinks red light/green light before eventually going on. Any ideas? Has been doing this for three weeks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Once turned on and warmed up ( 1 hour or so) , can you turn it off and right back on normally ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hello ,

Sorry but i was out last night when you replied ,it was 11:15 PM here .

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

You did not give me the model number of the tv but the symptoms you described and the fact that panasonic hasn`t made a plasma tv for 5 + years tells me its not a young tv and what you have is a typical case of weak/vented capacitors on the power board .

Around here you would be looking at some $250 to have this repair in a shop .

If you are into this you could simply replaced the power board VS repairing it , that board usually cost somewhere around $100 but one detail on this ; the VS and VA voltages on the power board will have to be adjusted according to the values written at the back of your plasma panel , they are specific to each panel and it will be on a sticker .

You will need a voltmeter for this .

Again if you are into this then let me have the TV's model number and I`ll see what I can find otherwise if you are going to go for the repair shop or even a new tv then never mind the model number

Let me know if you have other questions and if not for now then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you. I'll buy a new set when my "tech wizard" son gets back from working at Rio, so he can do the install.Appreciate your advice,Jeannie