Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Tried to connect my Samsung UE43J5500 to my Bose Acoustimass

Customer Question

Tried to connect my Samsung UE43J5500 to my Bose Acoustimass 3 and Harmon Kardon AV100 amp with headphone to rca adapter but it's not working well even with the amp volume turned up high it doesn't have any oomph. It worked perfectly with my older Samsung LE37R8 using just the rca leads. With this set up, it wasn't possible to turn up the amp volume even halfway!! Don't know what to do now.
PS: I had to use 2 scart to hdmi converters on the new set up, as the new tv doesn't have any scart sockets at all.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please note I am completely out of my depth and dont understand technical terms at all, the set up was.inherited, so response will have to be "for dummies" please.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

So are you getting some sound, just low volume, or no sound at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A very low volume even with the amp volume turned way up; tv speakers are louder in fact.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for confirming,

the issue is that the tv doesn't properly output volume levels in this situation with analog connections.

The best option here, especially since you have hdmi devices, is to keep everything digital.

Simply connect an optical (also known as toslink or fiber optic) cable from the Digital Audio Out port on back of the tv, to the optical input on the receiver, and the system should work.

You can pick up an optical cable online: http://amzn.to/2bxruXt or at any shop that sells tvs and electronics.

Best regards,

Nathan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The receiver doesn't have any digital connections at all - only rca connections. It worked perfectly with rca cable with the previous samsung tv?!
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you have the AV100 or AVR100?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says AV1 100
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for confirming,

lets try a different approach, go into the tv settings menu, under the audio options, and look for the audio output options, for a setting to turn off the tvs internal speakers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried that and although you can see the sound pattern going, there is no sound at all from the speakers.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Under the speaker settings, the tv speakers need to be turned off (set to external),

then with those off, you need to turn the volume on the tv itself up using the samsung remote,

with the final adjustments being done on the receiver

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When using samsung remote, just the message - "audio out" comes up and doesn't do anything to the volume at all. The sound is still barely audible with the amp turned right up. Usually with the amp turned only halfway, it sounds like a cinema theatre.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

The use of the scart converters is likely complicating this as well, these tvs aren't designed to output analog audio at all really (the case for ALL new tvs), so there are multiple things working against you here.

What are the source devices you are using? Cable/satellite box? Dvd?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Satellite, dvd player and vcr
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am sorry but I need to go to bed as have work tomorrow morning. We can continue tomorrow if that's ok.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay, each of those items should have ports on the back, so you would be better off in this case to bypass the tv for audio entirely,

and hook a set of red/white from each device to the back of the HK.

Yes, you can follow up with me later, though I'm in the US and may not be here right when you return.

Thanks,

Nathan

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will give it a go maybe tomorrow if possible and let u know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Forgot to ask, which leads go to the in and which go to the out? For dummied remember?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

They are labeled, on the back of each device you will see Audio Out, usually labeled as left and right, but they are color coded. You need a red and white from those outputs on each device to a set of available ports on back of the HK.

For example you may put satellite on the TV input mode, and dvd on the CD input mode, etc

It does not matter which you use, you just have to remember to set the corresponding input mode on the HK to pick up signal from whichever device you are listening to.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thanks. Goodnight.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome, Constance.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Nathan,
Haven't had a chance to sort out the connection as the kids are on summer holidays here. Will get to this as soon as possible and revert.
Constance
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome, Constance. I'll be here to help if you should need further advise.