Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a panasonic tv TH-42PX70B Firstly it started to

I have a panasonic tv TH-42PX70B Firstly it started to switch off automatically after being on for about 1 hour - as if a component was overheating. Now the LED light flashes a few times as if it's trying to start but then shuts off.
Any ideas as I don't want to skip it.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, Alan, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is significantly past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor; and this is assuming parts can even be found, which is virtually impossible for these sets anymore.

For a tv of this size/age/type however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK thanks Nathan. Although the telly is old the picture was good. With the 'overheating type symptoms I was hoping the fault would narrow down to a specific component. I'm happy to do some electronics but without knowing the area of the fault repair would be a bit hit and miss.
Looks like the skip!!
Alan
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Overheating may have been the original source of the problem, but at this point the damage is done and really could be any component at all. The biggest issue is being able to find parts.

It wouldn't hurt to open the back cover and clean it, vacuuming the vent holes and blowing it out with compressed air though.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Nathan